Monday, November 14, 2005

Highlights and updates. Yes, it has been a long time since my last entry. First, I have returned to “teaching” in NY public schools. It took me a few days to readjust to “teaching" in public schools here in New York. Also, I started falling behind with my entries, but not wanting to leave anything out, I have been compiling a notebook of each entry that I would write about in the future. However, the more notes that I wrote, the more I procrastinated about writing. I could continue with the excuses, but instead I will just go right into the highlights from the past couple of weeks.

Highlights:

October 21st
After trying (unsuccessfully) several times to get a live person on the phone (from the Board of Education) to help me with my application process, I decided to go down in person. First, a little background information.

When I returned to New York I thought that I would have no problem getting back into the system, unfortunately, I was incorrect. While I was away in Japan, my (provisional) teaching license expired. I was told that it would take about 4 months to complete the application process (not including the new test and the workshop on school violence that I would have to take). I was told that I could apply for a substitute teaching certificate (which would allow me to start working much sooner).

On September 12, 2005 I delivered my application for a substitute teaching certificate at the BOE headquarters. I was told that it would take about 10 to 20 days to be processed. After 20 business days passed, I returned to the HQ to find out what happened. I had not received any notice or certificate. I went to the 4th floor, which was where I submitted my application. I was told that the certificate was mailed on the 16th of September (and that I was approved on the 16th of September). The secretary suggested that I go to the 8th floor (records dept.) ask to look in my file, make a photocopy of the certificate, and use that copy until the BOE sends me another one. Without some kind of certificate, I can’t set foot inside a school. In the record room, I looked in my file to find that a copy was not in it. I was told that I should wait another week, and maybe it would be placed into my file. I mentioned that I could not wait, so it was suggested that I go to the 3rd floor (sorry, as I am typing this, I forgot what dept. was on the 3rd floor). On the 3rd floor, I was told that there was nothing there for me, but that I should go to the 8th floor. And on the 8th floor, I received the same information. Basically, I was getting the runaround. Finally (after pleading poverty), I was told to go around the corner and ask to speak to Mary. Around the corner, I asked to speak to Mary, but I was told that there were 3 Marys. However, the secretary there was helpful enough to give me a printout of her screen that showed I did have approval to do substitute teaching. With that photocopy, I was able to return to my old school for sub. teaching assignments. Since I was in a good mood, I decided to walk to the Brooklyn Bridge (from the BOE HQ), but I ended up walking to Canal Street (about an hour walk). About a week later, I returned to the BOE (for a BOE photo ID), this time, I walked home from the BOE HQ in Brooklyn. The walk took about 4 hours. I did take some photos; I hope to have the photos up on my other web site (hopefully, some time next week).

October 22nd
I received an application letter stating that I was approved for substitute teaching and that I would receive my certificate and BOE photo ID application in a few days. I suspect that I only received the notice because I went downtown to the HQ. I bought a cheap prepaid cell phone (with calling card).

The process for substitute teaching is that I would have to go to each school (that I wanted to substitute teach at), and the school would call me if they needed a substitute teacher. With the cell phone, I wanted the schools to not call for me on my foster father’s house phone; they could reach me directly through the cell phone. I still don’t like cell phones, but in this case, a cell phone is a necessity.

October 25th
My first day substitute teaching at my old school, I was assigned to cover the Math Cluster (prep) teacher. My classes for the day were 2 pre-K classes and 3 third grade classes. The pre-K classes (before kindergarten) were nice, I was basically just assisting the assistant teacher. The 3rd grades were another story. The first two were basically how I remembered teaching in public school was before I left. Each class became progressively worst. The last class, at the last period was the worst. I could barely control the class.

Since this is just the highlights I have to leave out details, including the comparisons between the public schools here and in Japan. I know there are a couple of my pen pals (teachers from Japan) who were looking forward to reading details about my teaching experiences here in New York. However, in order to get back on track with this blog, I have to skip the details for the moment. Sorry.

October 26th
Today I was assigned to takeover another 3rd grade class, from a teacher who was in the building but she was busy doing some kind of head teacher program. There were also visitors watching a part of her reading lesson. During the morning, I was so impressed with the teacher’s style and control of her class. The students were so well behaved that I couldn’t wait to take over the class. And then, I got my wish…

In English, there is an expression, “be very careful what you wish for, because your wish just might come true”.

As soon as the teacher left the room (about 5 or 10 minutes) the class went wild. They argued with each other, threw things across the room, and would not stay in their seats. I was shocked, confused, and angry. I did not understand what had happened. It was like I was stepping in front of a classroom for the first time. Nothing…Nothing I did or said had any impact. The class was wild and out of control from the moment I stepped in front of the room, until their teacher returned at 3pm the end of the day. I wanted to keep them in after school, but the teacher needed the room for after-school tutoring. She (the teacher) suggested that I go to the principal to ask if it was okay to keep the students in after school in another room. Knowing full well, what the answer would have been, I did not bother. Again, I used to teach at that school, and after 3 years, I had had enough. At that school, the principal does not allow teachers to keep students after school (unless a request is made in advance [and I think with parent’s approval]). The kids know that they can’t be kept after school (and they act accordingly).

By the end of the day, I was so disgusted (and angry) that I was planning to not set foot in that school again. The principal (and the assist principal) both spent about an hour trying to convince me that I should not take the students behavior personal. Although they (both) made very good arguments, I was still stuck on my one point. I could not control the class. From my point of view (never mind not being able to teach anything), if I could not control the class I was useless. I really, really did not want to be put in that situation again.

After about an hour, I agreed that I would return to the school (the principal said that he would give me an easier assignment). I’d agreed to return to school, because I was planning to return anyway but for a different reason. The class was so out of control, the only threat I had was to take away their recess time. My plan was to come to the school just to take away the class’ recess time, and then I would leave the school to go to the BOE for my photo ID. It would mean losing a day’s salary, but I did not care. When the principal heard my plan, that is when he suggested that I shouldn’t give up a day’s pay over one class, he said that I should return the next day, and he would give me an easier assignment; he also said that we should talk more at the end of the day. Rather than argue, I agreed.

October 27th
I arrived at school around 10:30 (twenty minutes before 3rd graders went to lunch). The class was out of the room (out of class prep [music or science]. When they returned, I explained why I was there. I told them that if I had to lose a day’s pay to deal with them, then I would. I think my presence really shook the class. I really don’t think they expected me to have kept my word. Remember, I used to teach at this school. 1. you have to mean what you say. 2. you have to put things in a way that the kids understand. Returning to the school (just to do a lunch time detention), even though I did not have to, got their attention. The class was 100% (uh….85% better behaved). I told the class that if they acted up during the lunch period (or did not listen to me), then I would stay to dismiss the class, and return again tomorrow to do it all over again. Since they did not want me there again, for the most part, the class listened to me. Unfortunately, I over-stayed my visit.

After lunch they got a little bit restless, and decided to test me. Each time I was about to leave a student (or students) would say or do something (like clapping). And each time, I added more time for each disruption. And the longer I stayed, the wilder the class became. At one point (in the room), there were 3 adults (myself, the substitute teacher [usually he is the writing Cluster teacher], and the social studies prep teacher), but the class was just as wild. Finally, I changed tactics. I singled out individual students as the reason why I did not leave, and finally, the class was quiet enough for me to leave. They went wild as soon as I left the room; one student even followed me down the stairs to make sure I was really leaving.

I did not win the war, but I won the battle. I kept my word, and I let them know I am the teacher, and I am the one in charge...relatively speaking.

A couple of teachers in the building mentioned that my time in Japan probably softened me, so that is why I probably had difficulty adjusting. I didn’t want to believe what they were saying (especially considering the some of the nonsense that I went through while I was teaching in Japanese public schools, however, I think they might be correct. Anyway, I felt really good about myself.

Oh by the way, if you are interested (or curious) about what the easier assignment was -- it was teaching in pre-k. So the next day after the lunch detention, I had a pre-k for the day. The pre-k experience is also an entry in itself, but again, if I go back and try to write from the notes that I'd written, then I would continue procrastinating with this blog. I'll have to pass on writing about my pre-k experience. It wasn't a bad experience, but just interesting in terms of kids, and the changing education experience. After the pre-k experience, I was given the 4th grade TAG (Talented And Gifted) class. I'll just sum up my TAG experience with, "you don't want to know what passes as a talented class. Basically, they were TAG in name only. They were closer to the 3rd grade class I mentioned above. However, relatively speaking, the TAG class was a good class...Relatively speaking!!

After the lunch time detention, I went to the BOE to submit my direct deposit application. With the substitute teaching circuit I’m on, if I did not get direct deposit for my salary, then every payday (twice a month), I would have to go to every school I taught at for that month to pick up my salary. Oh by the way, to ensure that I had enough schools calling me for substitute teaching assignments, I sent my resume (with cover letter) and a copy of my per diem (substitute) teacher’s certificate to about 75 schools. Although the policy is to deliver my certificate to each school in person, I really didn’t want to waste a day traveling from school to school introducing myself. I though that I could just e-mail the information, but NYC public schools seemed to be even more behind the times then I imagined Tokyo public schools to be. After searching the internet for about an hour, I could not find a single e-mail address. Since my own computer skills are so low, it is possible that I overlooked something, but I doubt it.

Anyway, I made 75 copies of my resume and certificate, and used Microsoft word label maker to make the labels and sent my information by snail mail(post). At the time of this writing, I’d taught in about 3 different schools. 2 schools seemed (in their own way) to be identical, the third seems to be much nicer (relatively speaking). At first, I was eager to get my own classroom in any school, but now I’m not. Here in New York, you don’t have much choice when it comes to choosing what school you are assigned to. It is the same as business, it is not what you know, it is who you know. In this case, knowing the principal will put you in a good school.

Well, I think I will stop about now. There were other similar situations in other schools, but again, I think you have the general idea. Also, I consider this blog, a catch up entry. Starting now, I can submit current entries. I hope.

Now, that I’ve caught up with my blog entries, I can now catch up with my e-mails. Until next time…

END ========================================================