Sunday, November 28, 2010

NYC - Police Museum

This past Thanksgiving really wasn't worth the time to write about it, so I will skip it.
On Saturday, I organized an social networking event.  This time it was a trip to the NYC Police Museum.  To my surprise, someone actually showed up, it was a 56 year old divorce father.  The meeting spot was going to be in the lobby of the museum.  However, we ended up meeting on the train platform at 42nd street.  I was amazed.  We actually rode into NYC on the same Metro-North train.  I was in the fourth car, he was in the second.  After arriving in Grand Central Station, I stopped at the bathroom, and then went to catch the #4 subway for downtown.  42nd street was crowded as usual.  I always go to the front of the train or the back to avoid the crowds.  Anyway, while I was standing on the platform, the was able to spot me from the description I had given him.  It was a good thing we didn't meet in the museum because it was a pretty small museum (despite having three floors).

The museum cost was $8 dollars.  I thought it was interesting.  Basically, the third floor was for a 9/11 exhibition along with a Hall of Heroes (officers who lost their lives in the line of duty since 1845), the second floor was an exhibition on artist work related to 9/11 and other police activities, the first floor had a very small kids zone and an exhibition on the evolution of the NYC police force.

Although we took about 90 minutes to see everything, if you don't stop to read every caption and display, you can finish easily within an hour. I will post some photos at another time.  After the museum, epal was ready to go home, but I wasn't.  I went to the movie to see "Megamind in 3D".  After the movie, I went to T.G.I.Friday's restaurant near Union Square Park.  I was surprised at the prices.   My chicken and shrimp pasta dinner cost $25.05 for a fairly small portion.  I was finished eating in about 6 minutes.  I would have had dessert, but they only had brownie with this or that, or cheesecake.  I walked from 14th Street to 42nd Street before taking the train back home.

3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

A police museum, eh? Sounds interesting. I'd go. :)

Jannx said...

Hello Paperback. Yes, I thought it was an interesting event. I'll post some photos at another time.

Jeff said...

This does sound really cool. Having had friends who are or were police officers, I'll bet they would really love it; I'll bet it would be even better to go through this museum with one of them!