Monday, September 07, 2009

Indianapolis - Day 3 (The Zoo)

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Today started very early with a 2AM departure. The group using the back room in the basement left very noisily making at least 7 trips up and down the stairs through the front room where I was trying to sleep. Also a new arrival to the front room turned on the air-conditioner full blast. In a matter of minutes it was like an ice box.

About 12PM, I was on the bus for downtown. The plan was to use the last tickets in our downtown tourist booklet to go to the zoo. Since INpal had to go to church, I wasn't sure what time he would be finished, so I started off alone.

We ended up meeting at the zoo about 2PM. The zoo combined an aquarium within the zoo. I thought the zoo was very nice. We saw a dolphin show, which was okay. To me, the dolphin show seemed a bit short. The lights were low, and the action was a bit too fast for my slow hands. I really didn't get any good shots at the dolphin show. While in the zoo, INpal picked up the tab for lunch, which was a nice surprise.

Later, we went to see the Harry Potter Movie in IMAX. The "IMAX" experience was a bit of a waste. They gave out 3D glasses, so I assumed the whole or most of the movie would be in 3D. Actually, only about 10 minutes of the beginning was in 3D. Yep, that's it, only 10 minutes of a 2.5 hour movie. Yes, I felt a bit cheated. The movie was long but it was enjoyable.

After the movie, INpal and I went for dinner. Unfortunately, most of the places were closed due to it being Sunday. It took a bit of driving, but eventually we settled on KFC/Taco Bell. After dinner, INpal returned me to the hostel. After giving him a couple of NYC souvenirs, we said good bye.

A couple of months ago, INpal mentioned that he would not be available for touring after Sunday. In Indianapolis, schools open around the beginning of August. Instead of changing my plans, I decided to just hang out and explore on my own for the next couple of days.

* The attached photo is of a snake display at the snake house in the zoo.

Post Date - Monday, September 7, 2009 11:22PM

6 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

A dolphin show at the zoo? Spiffy.
I know Hogle zoo in Utah doesn't have anything like that. They used to do chimpanzee shows and give camel and elephant rides, but there's never been any sea world stuff.
That would be fun to see at a zoo.

A Paperback Writer said...

Hey, I hope your first day back at school went great.
Let us know soon.

Jannx said...

Thank you Paperback. Well, it was basically new year with the same old story. Taxi to work to avoid being late --in this case, I wanted to arrive early so I wouldn't be sweating up a storm.

Due to a scheduling problem, I was assigned to have a prep teacher cover my class for three days of the week by one of the teachers who tends to let the kids "get hyper"...to put it mildly. Luckily, there needed to be a change, so I would not be getting that teacher for coverage, but due to the last minute realization, I didn't get a prep period today. So my lunchtime was used to finish up those things I could have (should have) had already done.

As for the kids, I was actually surprised by how well they were behaved. The good behavior more than made up for the stress.

A Paperback Writer said...

Work through lunch? Yeah, been there, done that -- pretty much every day. I generally feel guilty if I don't work through lunch.

Jeff said...

I've had many a lunch spent that way!

Jannx said...

Yes, I often work through lunch skipping lunch only to "make up for it" later after work.

The main thing that bothered me was losing my prep periods the first three days of a new school year, that has never happened before. And being "unprepared" (expecting to have my prep period to get prepared) only added to the "first days of school" stress.