Sunday, October 31, 2010

Quick Entry

This has to be a quick entry.

* A couple of weeks ago I participated in a social networking event "Pumpkin Carving in the Park".  The organizer of that event changed it to carving in his backyard.  It was a nice event.  My pumpkin lasted only a day before it started to decay.  The guy said that we had to scoop out as much of the insides until the light could be shown through the shell.  With that and the fact that I cut out large shapes caused my pumpkin to start to decay fast.

* Yesterday, I met an online epal in person.  He suggested Manhattan, I suggested the comic book shop I've mentioned in the past on this blog.  That worked out great.  The epals plan was park or museum.  Problem, the guy was very late.  I didn't realize how late because I was really into the comics, so I wasn't watching the time.  About 1:53pm I received the first text message asking if I was still at the shop and that he was around the corner.  The meeting time was 1pm.  After a few minutes of wandering around the shop, the guy didn't buy anything, or seemed very interested in the books.  He knew the place(and a bit about comics), but he didn't seem to really be interested in comics.

We had lunch at Chipotle Mexican Grill.  Nice guy but seemed to be a bit of a "conversationalist".  At times, it seemed difficult to get a word.  Asking my opinion seemed to be an afterthought.  A good 5 minutes would past of him giving his opinion about something before he would ask for my opinion.  After lunch, we walked southward (I don't know why).  The conversation was nice, but nothing of substance.  Then, he takes a call on his cell phone.  For a good 7 or 8 minutes, I'm walking with a complete strange as he is laughing and talking on his cell phone.  Along the walk, I stop from time to time to look at the small electronic stores along the way.  At one point the guy is about 10 ~ 15 away before he notices that I stopped.  In the course of our walk, the conversation turns to B&N Nook (their e-readers).  E-pal is a big fan of Nook more than Amazon's Kindle.  During the conversation on why the nook is better, we come across a Barnes and Nobles.

After a stop at the classics section (he wanted to show me a classic that (as a teacher he thought I would know).  It wasn't there.  And after a bit of wandering, I spotted the sci-fi/fantasy section -- I made a bee-line for the section.  After hearing about how wonderful the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was from epal, I purchased the paperback set ($29 with my membership discount).  After B&N, we continue walking southward (I still don't know why).  However again, epal is on his phone laughing and talking.  I was annoyed!  We continued to walk with epal on the phone and me walking along in silence.  I slowed up walking hoping epal would get the hint...he kept talking.  I finally stopped walking, epal also stopped, but...he continued talking.  I sat down on the sidewalk...and yes, he still kept talking on his cell phone.  I was on that cold concrete sidewalk for a good 3 or 4 minutes.  Only when I dramatically looked at my watch did epal tell the person he had to go.  After a bit more walking, we went our separate ways. 

The guy really was a nice guy, but I don't think we really had much in common.

3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I've always thought it was kind of rude when someone talks on their cell phone when they're with other people. Really, it's polite to take the call and ask if you can call back later or just let it go into messaging.

Jannx said...

I agree with you 100%. I don't have a problem with someone checking their phone, or taking a call. But like you said, it is polite to ask the person to call you back. Here in NYC, there is now a plan to bring the ability to use cell phones in the subways. I tell you I dread the day when that comes.

Jeff said...

Let us know what you think of the Lord of the Rings. It's a very rich series, but a bit tedious in some spots for my tastes. I'm sure your e-pal would heartily disagree, but different strokes and all that.

Of course, I read the three books over three consecutive summers. No, I'm not that slow a reader, it's just that after one book in a series, I like to read something else to cleanse the palate. I have to wonder if reading through all of them in a row wouldn't lead to a greater payoff.