Sunday, March 18, 2007


Payday means…shopping on unnecessary things. Well, another wasted weekend. One of these days, I will have to reread this blog to see how many times I’ve written that.

For the last couple of days, I’ve been stressing myself about report cards among other work related things. This weekend like the last few, I’ve been bring home work telling myself that this would be the weekend that I get organized. Well, another wasted…oh, I already wrote that.

I was planning to use this weekend to really go over the mountains of papers (both graded and ungraded) to complete progress reports for the students. I like the idea of providing progress reports to go with the report cards, so that parents have a better idea of how I arrived at the grades their child received. Today was supposed to have been paper organizing day, and as you are about to read…I did anything but.

This morning, I decided to go to the Teacher’s College Bookstore to buy bulletin board paper and borders. Since parent teacher conferences happen next week (Tuesday), I wanted the hallway bulletin boards changed. I started the day with cold cereal and hot green tea. I took the 10:30 Metro-North train to the Bronx. In the Bronx, I ate lunch at Subways. Then I went to the Target store. My plan was to just run into Target to get another book. I finished reading Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke. The story was okay, a bit kiddyish, but okay. Talking mice, furry cat people, and dragons. The story was okay, entertaining in a kiddy kind of way. My plan was to by the next book written by the same author. Originally, I was planning to buy Inkheart by Ms. Funke (it will be a movie soon). And the Inkheart book has a continuation book (Inkspell). I think it is a trilogy, but I am not sure. Anyway, my plan was just to run in buy the Inkheart book, and leave. But just like it is not a good idea to go food shopping when you are hungry, you should not go into a store when you are bored. I made the mistake of lingering a bit too long in the book section. I ended up putting Dream-Hunter by Sherryilyn Kenyon into my basket. Another mistake, getting a basket when you are only planning to buy a book was not a good idea. I wasn’t too fond of the cover (it looked like one of those romance novels), but I liked the synopsis on the back. After reading a book with talking mice who fly toy airplanes, I wanted a more adult book, sci-fi or fantasy – yes, but more adult. Short summary, a guy lives in the dreams of others, a woman doctor searches for proof of Atlantis’ existence. Demons are chasing the dreamer guy, and the dreamer guy has to collect a human soul to stay in the human world for two weeks. A human soul is only worth a two week vacation, go figure.

Anyway, although I should have been in and out, I started to linger in the store…as if I had nothing better to do. I went to the DVD section only to see what was released. I ended up buying: Underworld Evolution, Ultimate Avengers Iron Man, and the Boondocks (the complete first season). I’ve read the Boondocks comic strip a few times. Since I don’t have cable, I have not been able to see the animation. Once I finished in the DVD section, I wandered over to the CD section…only to see what was available. I ended up buying a few Target Store mixes (three 80s mixes and a hip hop mix[80s I think], and another Stevie Wonder Greatest hits. On the way to the checkout area, I ended up throwing in A big button desktop calculator, dental floss, and Listerine breath strips. In total, I spent $169.01 in Target, and $6.72 in Subways. My debit card was smoking before I even went to the Teacher’s College bookstore.

After Target, I went to the TC bookstore only to find it closed due to Spring Break. I was annoyed. A woman talking on her cell phone said (while speaking into her phone) that each time she has been there (TC), the store was closed. I silently agreed with her. Since I had once again waited to the last minute, was standing on the street corner stressing over my options. In the end, I decided that I would go to a teacher supply store in Brooklyn. I remembered receiving a flyer about a supply store somewhere in the Fulton area. I couldn’t remember the store name, nor could I remember the exact location, but there I was on the train riding to Brooklyn. After a couple of stops, lucky, I came to my senses. Unlike the TC bookstore, the store in Brooklyn was opened on Sundays. I decided to return home.

Since I was heading uptown, I decided to visit my foster father to pick up my mail. No one was home, but that was okay with me. On the way home, I stopped of at the grocery store. I saw that the Haagen-Dazs ice cream was on sale (2 for $4). I also bought 2 half gallons of orange juice.

At home, I microwaved my dinner (precooked chicken, frozen spinach, and ready to serve rice). I watched the evening news and fell asleep. I woke up about 10. I started to watch the 10pm local news, but ended up watching a very 80’s sci-fi movie (Double Dragon). Now I am doing this blog entry. Tomorrow, I am off to Brooklyn to the teacher’s supply store, return home, do the laundry, and start the papers for the parent teacher conference. Oh, and I need to do my lesson plans for next week.

Well, since I’m up, I’ll take a photo of my Target purchases and attach it.

No comments: