Sunday, February 14, 2010

This and That

The midwinter recess has begun. I'm going to have to try harder to make the most of it. I can't keep wasting my vacation time, to return to work just as stressed as I was before the vacation.

I returned to college to finish my Masters Degree. I'm paying out of pocket to avoid my ever increasing mountain of debt. Paying out of pocket put me in a bit of a financial bind (one I hope to correct by next month). I was able to get the books I needed for my classes. I had to order a couple of books on Amazon.com because the books were sold out in the college bookstore. I'm taking two classes that are both scheduled on Wednesday. Last Wednesday, was the snow day, so I didn't have to go. Considering I hadn't done the read, I was glad for the snow day.

Yesterday (Saturday), I managed to get an early start. I went to a local diner to order takeout breakfast (pancakes, eggs, and sausages). I slept most of the day away.

Today, I also managed to get up and out early (for me). I decided to visit my foster father. After, I went to 42nd street to see "Percy Jackson & the Olympians - Lightning Thief". I read the book and was looking forward to seeing the movie. A couple of websites seem to suggest that this movie will have the same frenzy Harry Potter had...I don't think so. I thought the movie was nice, but as usual, liberties were taken, elements changed, etc...I liked the book better.

After the movie, I walked to 14th street stopping on the way to a comic store and a couple of Barnes and Nobles. It still amazes me how the flagship Barnes & Nobles has such an incredibly small science-fiction/fantasy section of only a couple of bookcases. Luckily, there is another Barnes & Nobles a few blocks away from the flagship store with a greater selection.

My purchases:

Comics
Blackest Night - Secret Six #17
Blackest Night - Secret Six #18
Justice Society of America #35
Fall of the Hulks - Gamma
Incredible Hulk #606
Red Hulk #1
The Mighty Avengers #33

Books
Star Trek voyager - Unworthy
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz*

* I'm not sure why I bought this one. In the past, I have been tempted to buy the sequels "Wicked" and "Son of a Witch". Now that I have the original "Barnes & Nobles Classic "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum, I might buy the other sequels.


Post Date - Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:57PM

No comments: