Sunday, December 27, 2009

New Phone

The title should have been "Should I or Shouldn't I". I'm thinking about getting a new cell phone. For the past 4 years, I've been using a prepaid Tracfone. The cost of the Tracfone are only the minutes I've paid to use. I don't use my phone very often. 100 minutes will last me a couple of months (or more). For the last couple of days, I've been wanting a new phone. With the prepaid, the services are very limited, not to mention the slow texting ability. Well, I was surfing online, and checked out the various cell phone providers. I was just about to make my online purchase, when I saw the monthly charge for the basic package (about the same as my landline phone). The monthly cost does not include "the extras" like internet connection, etc... Do I really want to be locked into paying about $80 per month every month(about $96 per year). That's excluding taxes, fees & other charges). Once the "extras" are factored in, I could be spending over a thousand dollars for a phone I don't use very often. Now that I think about it, the "extras"(Taxes, Fees & Other Charges) could be as high as $15 per month.

In the past, I've always smile when those around me complained about their cell phone payments. Do I really want to join the ranks of those who have to deal with contracts, penalties, monthly payments, etc...? I saved the shopping cart page. For once, I resisted the impulse buy I usually cave in to. But since I saved the shopping page, isn't it a matter of time before I cave. Also, I like the idea of starting something new at the beginning of the new year. Well, ...

"Should I or Shouldn't I?"

Below is a picture of the phone I was planning to get.

2 comments:

James said...

Well did ya buy it?! LOL

Jannx said...

Hello James. Thanks for stopping by. No, I'm still sitting on the fence. If it was a one time purchase, I probably would have brought the phone already. However, I'm (a bit) put off by the 2 year contract committment. Strange as it might seem (to me), I seem to be having some difficulty with committments. Strange...again for me.