Monday, August 08, 2005

State of Fear

The above title does not describe my life. However, if you substitute stress for fear, then the title would fit my life. Sorry, I'm getting side tracked. I want to finish this blog entry quickly, so that I can go relax in the bath.

The above title is the title of the new book I bought today. I finished reading the Da Vinci Code over the weekend. My plan was to buy another book written by the same author (Dan Brown) hoping the next book would be as interesting as the Da Vinci Code.

Once in the bookstore, I came across "State of Fear" written by Michael Crichton. I remembered (vaguely) hearing (or reading) a review) about "State of Fear", so I decided to buy this book. Once I returned home, I started reading the first chapter. I was very, very disappointed with the first chapter. I hope the reminder of the book is not as stupid. A brief first chapter synopsis:

A scientist (24 yrs. old) goes to a cafe. A woman and her boyfriend at the next table are arguing. The woman starts flirting with the scientist with her boyfriend watching. Later, the scientist brings the woman (because she is sooooo beautiful) and her boyfriend(?!?!) to his lab so he can show off his new experiment. That night, the scientist goes to the woman's apartment. After having sex, a group of men break into the apartment, they beat him up and drug him some kind of way, then leave when the woman comes out of the bathroom and shouts at them. She tells the scientist not to call the police because it was just a lover's situation (between her and her boyfriend) and the police won't do anything. Instead, she wants him to stay to continue making love to her. Finally, when they are walking him to his home(the scientist was not feeling well), he realizes that he had been poisoned. Unfortunately, he realizes 2 seconds before the woman pushes him into the river. Yes, the young, smart(!?!?) scientist died. However, as he was dying, he was able to hit the river water face down, but turn over to see the woman calmly "smoking a cigarette with her hand on her hip, and...with her leg forward in a kind of model's pose". Stupid scientist, but he has very good eyesight.

If the rest of the story is like this, I am going to be very, very upset. Ja Mata...

No comments: