Monday, August 01, 2005

Another meeting about the letter of resignation

It has been a few days. Sorry, I have not been in the mood to write a blog. Last Friday I had another meeting at my company, this time with one of the company representatives. It was a two-hour waste of time. The meeting dragged on, only because of stubbornness. I was being too stubborn to see things another way. Since the school fired me, I was okay with a letter of termination. To this day, I don't know why, and I probably will never know(and so quickly to [I only had one more day before summer vacation--they could not wait just one more day]).

The company representative (and my boss) were being stubborn trying to convince me that they are only asking me to sign a letter of resignation for my benefit. Each time I came up with a simple why or how question, we would just fall back into the merry-go-round of denial. I refused to accept signing a letter of resignation, and the company refused to back down. I don't feel like treading over same old nonsense, so I'll just give you some highlights:

The meeting began with the representative putting (in front of me) a paper written in Japanese saying that he had a meeting with the principal that afternoon, and he needed me to sign it then and there. Only explained rather quickly, that the paper was just saying that I was finished working on the 19th.

I was told that I had to sign the letter of resignation, or the school would not be able to put a replacement teacher in the class, forgetting, or not caring that they had told me at the beginning of the meeting that the school would not request a replacement teacher. The school is going to use one of the teachers that is already at the school. They held on to this point for at least 30 minutes. They insisted that if I did not sign the paper, the students would come to class, but there would be no teacher in the room.

Although, the school was not supposed to use an agency to find its part-time teachers, the letter of resignation had to be signed because it would be going to the board of education. If I did not sign the letter, then no one could get paid. The question, why does a company that is not suppose to be involved in hiring and firing is insisting on a letter, only sent us back on the merry-go-round of denial. Or, when I'd mentioned that this "letter thing" has nothing to do with me, or my feelings, it is only about money. "Oh, no, no, no", said the company rep. "The principal was just concerned about your well-being". I said, "Oh, then why did he avoid speaking to me in the halls, or when I was making copies for about the last two weeks." "Well, (another 3 or 5 minutes explanation), the school contacts this company, and this company contacts you". Actually, I was talking about receiving the cold shoulder in the hallways, and the "Oh, I did not see you hello". When I explained about being avoided at the school by the principal and the head English teacher, I received the "oh, I will talk to them later".

The rep. made a point of telling me that the letter was official, and that it came from the principal. He also added that he did not make it himself. Strange, I never suggested that he did. He also made a point of showing me that the envelope was from the school (it had the school logo and address).

When I'd mentioned that if I died, they would not be able to get a signature. Both agreed that Japanese contracts often have a clause that if a person dies, that person is automatically considered to have resigned. My boss even added that most of our contracts also have that clause. Strange, I don't remember seeing that clause on any of my contracts.

The meeting ended with what appeared to be a dramatic finish. It looked like the company rep. wanted to make a big dramatic finish. He ended with, "okay if you don't sign it I lose big money, big money." I think he wanted to say we. Anyway, he shoves the envelope with the Japanese letter into his briefcase, then tries to walk out, stumbles over the chairs in the closet size office, then tries to slam the door, but the door has one of those hinges that prevents the door from slamming.

The rep. leaves, then returns waving the letter angrily--although, he really did not look angry. He just looked like a bad actor. Anyway, he said to my boss, "If he doesn't sign it, just throw it away. Just throw it away. We lose big money." He must have forgotten (or he was sooooo angry) that he forgot that the letter was "an official document" that he had to return to the principal. The rep. then manages to slam one of the outer doors. I don't know why, but that slam got me angry. I ended up shouting. I don't think my boss knew what to do, so he seems to be whispering, please leave, just leave to me. So I left.

Later that day, my Japanese friend came over. I asked him to translate the letter. I was sure that it would take him 5 or 10 minutes to explain the letter. However, he took one look and said, "oh, this is a letter saying you wish to resign(退職)." And........I sign it. Strange isn't it. After all of that nonsense, the meetings, and the phone calls. Why did I sign the letter? I just realized that it was pointless to argue anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand your feeling. I came to Japan to teach English to the people with the lowest English level in all of Asia. I came here with an open mind and heart. My goal was to help the people who needed me most. I had a dream of making the world a better place through helping people in an altruistic sense.

But, to my suprise, I was not treated with gratitude and mutual respect, but I was treated as something less that human, with suspicion, and condescention. I was capitalized on by those whom I was trying to help. I was capitalized on and treated with disrespect by the Japanese and their devious collaborators, the Japanophiles, the pathetic Charisma-men who quit their job at the video arcade to become a lap-dog for the Japanese.

I love my job of teaching English as a second language. But, I can honestly say that I have come to hate the Japanese. After I leave here I will never come back and never think about buying anything Japanese and never recommend this horrible, God-forsaken, sewer to anyone.