Saturday, October 01, 2005


Another blog entry for today. Before I briefly recount my day, let me explain the photo on the left. Do you recognize the object in the photo? If you’ve read the previous blog about my adventure at Ground Zero, then you know what the object is. It is one of the Path train’s turnstiles. This time, I didn’t go to Jersey City through the World Trade Center site. This photo was taken at the Jersey City station next to the mall. Also here, there was no station attendant. However, I am very happy to report that this time the trip went much, much smoother.

Before I describe today’s boring events, let me describe the photo/turnstile. This is one of the single ride machines. If you are planning to only buy a one way ticket, then you would use this ticket machine. It takes only cash and coins. As you can see from the photo, the machine does not take bills higher than a five-dollar bill. Remember the lady I mentioned (in the previous “zero” blog entry), who couldn’t get change for a $20 bill. Now, look on top of the turnstile. The white cap on top has a red light inside. After you pay your fare, the red light will flash once (only once), so if you are not looking, you will miss it. Under the white cap, you can see the small monitor screen. Before you pay, there is a dark green arrow. After you pay, the monitor beeps once, and then the dark green arrow turns light green. And finally, if you are using a metro and/or PATH card, then it is inserted into the front of the turnstile. The fare is automatically deducted from the card, and the card is released above the insert point. You have to insert your card, wait for the machine to release it, and check to amount remaining (on the small screen on the front of the turnstile [just above where the card is inserted]) before you can walk through the turnstile. When the turnstile is turns light green, you will have about 5 to 10 seconds to walk through the turnstile. No proof you paid, and no attendant to help if you have a problem. Well, I think I’ve written enough about the PATH turnstile. I hope I didn’t bore you too much.

Today started off with me typing up the previous blog entry. While I was typing my father and his lady friend returned from grocery shopping. They bought much more than I was expecting. For the past month, I was doing much of the shopping. Unfortunately, I wasn’t doing much of the eating. I thought it was nice that a lot of food was bought. Unfortunately, they brought a little too much junk food (pound cake, a 12 pack of glazed donuts, a family-size pack of cookies, a pack of bologna etc…).

Today, I returned to the Jersey City mall mentioned in the previous “zero” blog. This time the traveling was much, much smoother. At the mall, the first place I went was the food court (Panda Express). After lunch, I went to the movie at the mall to see “Corpse Bride”. I enjoyed the movie very much. There was a very “artsy” style to it. After the movie, I wandered around the mall for awhile. I brought a couple of slacks for when I am called (I hope) to start substitute teaching. After wandering for awhile, I ate dinner at Burger King. Strange how I can complain about the lack of health food, but I seem to be unable to resist the fast food. I really have to start exercising. I really want to buy a rowing machine. Well, that’s about it. Until next time…