Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Quick entry. Tomorrow evening (actually today [I just looked at the clock on the wall]) I have a workshop to go to after school at BOE HQ in Brooklyn (4 to 6pm). The workshop is about process for getting the New York State Teaching license that I lost (and the new requirements in place) since my return to New York. That reminds me, in a future blog, I really should comment on the many changes to the teaching styles that have occurred while I’ve been overseas. The reading, math, science, social studies, and assessments have all changed. I suppose it was good that I returned from an educational point of view. Sorry, I’m getting sidetracked.

The first entry I want to make was about yesterday. Since I’ve been working, I’ve never been late to school. Yesterday, I arrived at 7:48; school starts at 8:30. I did not receive my schedule until 8:29. Never mind that I’ve been carrying about a 15 pound shopping bag filled with worksheets. Yes, filled with worksheets! I also have a backpack loaded with other teaching materials. I usually don’t know what grade I’ll be teaching, so I try to have enough material to at least pretend that I am professional and prepared.

Anyway, after receiving my schedule – and to no surprise, I have a class first period! The assistant principal also asked me to make a copy of the handwritten schedule for her. I had to wait about 3 or 4 minutes for a regular teacher to finish making her copies (in the copy room), she said that she could not let me skip her to make my one copy because she had a lesson first period (and had just put in OHP transparencies into the copy machine).

Today, I would be doing prep periods (for other teachers) in their classrooms. What I like about this school (relatively speaking) is that there is usually enough space to give me a classroom to do a prep period schedule in a classroom, but not today.

Since I had no classroom, I carried my jacket, backpack and shopping bag (filled with worksheets) up to the 3rd floor. I arrived about 15 minutes late. Upon arriving, the classroom teacher scolds me for coming late telling me, “don’t come late to my classroom” in front of her students. I wanted to explode, but instead I did a bumbling, fumbling attempt to explain why I was late. Never mind that she had already met me (a couple of days ago). She met me in the main office around 5pm; she was impressed to have met a substitute teacher who stayed after 3pm. Anyway, back to the present.

It just so happened that I had a lesson plan (and materials) to teach (entertain!?!?), however, the classroom teacher said that was not necessary, and that I could save my lesson for another class. She said that her class would be no problem while she was out of the room, and that I would love having her class.

To be honest, as much as a hate to admit it, she was correct, (relatively speaking), her class was very, very, extremely well behaved. I could see the students had the potential to fall apart (and go wild) if she took the day off, but they were very well behaved. They managed to stay on task for the whole period. So, what happened when the classroom teacher returned?

Nothing!

She came in and started talking to her students as if I didn’t exist. I waited about a minute (or two) to see if she would say anything to me…but, nothing. I put on my jacket, my backpack, and picked up my shopping bag…still nothing. No thank you. No, “how was my class? Nothing. I walked to the door, thanking the class for having me…nothing. She continued with her directions to her students ignoring me.

Later in the hallway, she walks past me and says “hello, how was your day?” I wanted to tell her off, but I ended up saying “fine”.

Next period, I was supposed to go to help the reading teacher, so I carried my things to the reading teacher’s room, only to be told that my schedule had been changed, and that I should take my things and go to the main office.

What was the new change?

I would be doing one on one instruction for one of the problem students. For 2 periods! I actually enjoyed it.

There was more to the day, but for the sake of time, I am going to jump to today.


Today, I arrived to school at 7:50. I received my schedule at 8:30. Again, for the sake of time, I’m skipping the details.

My Schedule?

I would be working in the S.A.V.E. (Schools Against Violence Education) program. I was told that every school had the program. I would be giving instruction to a group of 3 students -- who were each suspended from school for on reason or another. Basically, I would have the group for the whole day minus my lunch and my prep period. Again for the sake of time…

I really enjoyed myself. For the first time, I made it through the day stress free. Notice that I did not use “relatively speaking”. Yes, one boy was difficult (try spoiled rotten – or he has issues I am unaware of), but for the most part, I enjoyed myself. I was a little annoyed that those boys could still be a little disruptive with only three in a classroom, but, relatively speaking I would enjoy doing it again. Problem, “lighting rarely strikes twice”.

Ja mata…

END ========================================================