Tuesday, January 24, 2006

January 23, 2006 9:58pm

Quick entry. Today I started subbing at another school. Although it is too early to tell, I think this school might be better. However, I don’t want to get my hopes up. I still have 3 more days at this school. All in all, I think today was a nice day, despite the rain. My schedule was nice (only 4 classes), and I had a preparation period first period. The only (minor) problem I encountered was the assistant principal wanting me to teach social studies lessons since I was covering for the social studies teacher. I did understand her reasoning, but I was a little annoyed that there was no plan, but she wanted me to still teach social studies. She did have a valid position. The students really should have the same lesson (to the best of the teacher’s abilities) that they would have received if their teacher was not absent. All in all, I had a fairly relaxed day. I was out of the school by 3:15; it has been a long time since I’ve been out of the building by 3:15.

After school, I returned to the realty agency that I went to on Sunday. It turns out that (despite the recorded message on the company’s answering machine) the company was closed on Sunday (that’s why no one answered the door). I paid the company a finder’s fee($150), and I received one of several possible rooms available for rent. I will see the first available room on Wednesday evening. Tomorrow, I have to go to a “violence in schools” workshop. In order to get my New York City Teaching License which expired while I was in Japan, I will have to take the violence workshop and a Multi-Subject Content examination.
Well, tomorrow is the workshop. Hopefully, I will have another good day tomorrow. Oh, by the way, the first room I will be looking at is a small room (I will have to share kitchen and bath); the room is located in the Bronx. A bit far, but if I can just get a little peace and quiet, then I think I could be comfortable living in the Bronx.

Ja mata…

I just tried to post this entry, but I used up my free internet minutes for this month. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post this entry.