Sunday, January 29, 2006

January 29, 2006
Finally, I am back on the internet. Yesterday, I tried to post an entry using the computer at the local internet café, but for some reason, I was not able to log on. I also tried Saturday, but all of the computers were in use. And again this morning I tried, but again all of the computers were in use.

After days of excuses, and procrastinating, I finally returned to my new room. Rainy day to carry my things up to the Bronx. The first thing I noticed was the room was actually smaller than I imaged. Before going up, I took a few measurements at my foster father’s apartment. I used the measurements to get a sense of what I could (or would) be able to bring with me. It turns out that I twin-sized bed would take up half of the room. I decided that I would buy an Americanized futon bed to save a few inches in my shoe box. I found an ad in a couple of newspapers advertising futon frames for $49. I thought to myself, “great, a cheap bed”. I went to the furniture warehouse, and it turned out that the frame was cheap, but the mattress (by my poverty standards) was not cheap. The “cheap” futon mattress was about $90. The sales person was trying to sell me a more expense mattress. Sorry, I have to keep this short. I have to return to my foster father’s place, pick up some clothes, and go back to my shoe box and get ready for work. I will be returning to one of the other schools I worked at in the past. Unfortunately, the start time is 7:45. Just a quick summary of today.

I did about 30 minutes on my rowing machine.
Shaved my head.
Relaxed in the bath.
Brought my teaching materials to my shoe box.
Bought a futon. It will be delivered sometime next week. Oh, by the way. Here in New York, there was a “friendly-fire (cop on cop) shooting incident yesterday at a big restaurant chain in the Bronx. Guess where the furniture warehouse I went to is located. Right behind the restaurant. Today, only Channel 2 news teams was there.

After I bought my futon, I realized that I should buy a blanket and an ironing board. I was also planning to buy a new lock for my room. The lock on my room door does not work. In the neighborhood there is a big department store chain (known for its tools, and some furniture), would you believe that this branch of this big chain had no furniture, and did not have any door locks.

Well, let me end this now. The internet café is about to close.

January 28, 2006
Again, where do I begin? Sorry for the week without an entry. I did a stint subbing in another school. I was really impressed with the school tone. There were not kids running, and cursing throughout the hallways. It wasn’t great, but again, relatively speaking it was a nicer experience than the previous school. Yes, the kids were wild, disrespectful, but (relatively speaking) I had a much less stressful experience. Why am I not surprised that they did not ask me to return.

Yesterday, I returned to one of the other wild schools (mentioned in previous entries). I only returned because a couple of administrators really, really wanted me to work there. I have a very hard time saying no. I decided that I could handle a day -- and that day being a Friday, made the chaos easier to endure.

So, what kind of day was it? It started with me receiving a schedule to cover an absent teacher’s classes. 5 minutes later, the schedule had to be modified. 10 minutes later I was rushed to a 3rd grade classroom. I was told that I might have to cover that class all day. The minute I walked in, I could tell that it was probably a class with a wild reputation. It took me about 10 minutes to get the students calm and focused. And once the students were calm…the regular assigned teacher came. The assistant principal later explained the situation with the 3rd grade class. The regular teacher assigned to the class is a regular teacher at the school who was assigned this class to replace the original teacher -- I don’t know what happened to the original teacher. What the “regular assigned” teacher has been doing (according to the assistant principal) is coming to school late, so that a sub would have to take the class for the day. However, the assistant principal did not accept her lateness yesterday; he made her take the 3rd grade class anyway. The assistant principal really would like me to commit to being a full time sub at this school, so he has been trying to give me really good (relatively speaking) classes. This is a school where the teachers (for the upper grades) go to their classrooms, and the students are “sent up”. Each time I’ve subbed at this school the morning “send up” is a little like the “running of the bulls”. Yesterday one teacher had a red Mohawk hairstyle, and another teacher (in the past) usually wore a faded jeans ensemble (with a faded jean baseball cap). In the past, I would wonder (to myself) how do you tell students to take their hats off in the school building when a teacher is wearing a cap. Yesterday, the baseball cap wearing teacher didn’t have his cap on. I also heard (through out the day) the sounds of teachers yelling in the hallways for students to take off caps, hoods and do rags (a kind of stocking cap worn in inner cities). There must be a no hat policy now in effect. I could go on, but I have things to do.

So, what else is new?

Last week, I rented a room. This weekend I plan to move a few things, and then next week, rent a truck to move the rest.

So, what is the room like?

Small. Very small. Very, very small. By Japanese measurements, the room is about 3 or 4 tatamis in size. By American measurements, it is about the size of a big walk-in closet -- or a college dorm (space for a twin bed, a desk, and not much else). Sorry, I don’t have a photo at the moment. I kind of got the room on an impulse. The rent is $100 per week. I have to share the kitchen and the bathroom. The one time I was there, I saw a couple of guys, a couple of women, and a woman with a child, so it looks like a full house.

When I first saw the room, I told the manager that I would think about it (with the idea in my mind that I would not take it). But after walking a couple of blocks, on an impulse, I decided to take it. When I refused the room at first, I began to think of reasons to not take it, and excuses of how I would quickly find another “better room” (in the mean time, I would have to stay with my foster father), but as I walked something in me just said I am an adult, and an adult wouldn’t be running home to papa. So, with only the briefest of looks – I don’t even have a clear mental image of the room (only that it is small…very, very small). I have not returned to the room since I saw it that one time. At the time, the guy in the next room had his stereo on full blast. Not the greatest first impression, but I was proud of myself for taking the leap.

Strange, I just had a thought. This “room leap” just gave me the same feeling I had when I accepted the teaching job in Japan about 6 years ago.

I was planning to go to my room yesterday after school, but I had a little bit of bad financial news. Or should I have said “more” bad financial news.

I had an alternative reason for going to the above school. The payroll secretary forgot to include the two days I worked (in December), and I wanted to straighten out the mistake. I am learning that it is better to handle problems to bureaucracies face to face. On telephones you are just a voice, and on the computer, you are just some words.

As I was leaving the school, the payroll secretary from the previous school (see the recent entries about last week’s school) called me on my cell phone. Apparently, there was a mistake with the computer codes and none of the payroll data was approved. Basically, this means none of the teachers (at that school) would receive their regular pay for the next pay period. There was a silver lining. Any teacher affected could request an emergency check (for 60% of that pay period’s salary). I just need to go to the regional office to pick up the check. After the phone call, I was not in a mood to travel up to the Bronx to visit the shoe box that will probably be my home for a few months.

So, what are my financial plans at the moment?

Rent for my shoe box will be due around the first of the month. I need (want to) buy a futon (or folding bed) for my shoe box room. Then, there are the other household things (iron, ironing board, sheets, blankets, etc…). Also next month, I want to go to Washington DC for a job interview with the same organization that originally paid my way to Japan. After about 3 years of waiting, I’ve been invited for a job interview. If the interview is successful, I will be offered a teaching assignment overseas again. Although I would like to return to Japan, I put “no preference” for teaching location on my job application. It is very difficult to get a teaching assignment; an applicant has a better chance if he (or she) is open to any location. To go to Washington DC, I need to rent a hotel room, a bus fare (cheaper than train), I need to by a suit, I need to have money for food, and I would like to do a little sightseeing. I’ve never been to Washington DC.

Well, until next time…