Friday, May 12, 2006

Endings and Beginnings. All over again. Today was the last day of my long term substitute assignment teaching a kindergarten class. For me, it was like a vacation. Usually, I am given difficult classes in the upper elementary grades because I seem to be able to minimize the wild behavior that usually takes place when a substitute teacher arrives.

For the most part, I really enjoyed having my own class. Relatively speaking, the class was a very good group of kids… Relatively speaking. Any negatives. The little ones don’t really handle being sick very well. All this past week, I’ve been cough on and sneezed on. Today, there were 5 kids out sick. One kid who seemed to be sicker than the others, chose to come to school. I think he wanted the perfect attendance awards (a pencil, a pad, and a certificate). The kid is very nice, but an incredible daydreamer. However, he is the smartest kid in the classroom – also the biggest. He is about 54 cm (over 4 ft. tall). He was also one of the kids who could not tie his shoelaces. His shoelaces were always uneven (and untied). Finally, I told him to tell his mother that he needed new shoe laces. So…she buys the smallest laces that don’t fit his big shoes. I had to tell him to ask his mother for bigger shoelaces. Finally, she bought him a good length of shoelaces, but she still did not teach him to tie his shoelaces.

I got so tired of tying his shoelaces, I took away apart of his play time, to teach him to tie his shoelaces. And once he learned how to tie his shoelaces, what does he do? He teases another student for not knowing how to tie their shoelaces.

Anyway, I spent all day (all week actually) telling this child to cover (and/or turn) his head when he coughed or sneezed. All day, I had this kid coughing (and sneezing) on me or anyone nearby. It took every ounce of willpower to not strangle him. Now I sit here typing with a headache and a runny nose.

Other than the colds going around the classroom, I enjoyed my time there. Today was my last day. The regular teacher will return on Monday. It took me about 3 hours to pack my things, clean up the classroom, organize the work (and materials) that I used these last couple of months, and write a report (briefly outlining what I did in the classroom). I divided up the students work into piles according to curriculum topic. I labeled most of the assignments (and each pile) with post its. I then laid the piles on an unused desk. When the regular teacher walks in, she will know within a couple of minutes what was done in her absence. I will attach a photo of the end product. All in all, I left that classroom much cleaner (and organized) than I found it. I'll also attach a photo of a bulletin board display of the kindergarteners work.

I finished up about 6:30, and returned to my shoebox. Anything new in the shoe (box)? Oh, let’s see. Someone tried to set the front door (of the building) on fire, leaving the plastic window on the door slightly burnt, and the curtain with a hole the size of a grapefruit. The building manager had the door replaced. However, there is still a leak near the kitchen area.

And finally, last night, I saw a rat in the hall when I stepped out of my room. It was the first time I’d seen a rat inside. I told my neighbor (the screamer) about the rat when I walked in the building (the building manager put the door up yesterday evening without giving anyone keys (until today). My neighbor let me into the building. Sorry, I am getting sidetracked.

When I told my neighbor about the rat sighting, about 3 minutes later, she removes the dirty dishes that were in her room and leaves those dirty dishes on the kitchen counter (plates still containing bits and pieces of food not eaten). And how are things going for you?

Post Date Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:22pm