Sunday, May 21, 2006

May 21, 2006

Weekend update. On Friday, I stayed awake from 2 in the morning. I was expecting to be extremely tired, but I wasn’t. In school, I had a cluster’s schedule (I love cluster schedules) for the Pre-K – 2 grade science teacher. The only pre-k class on the schedule went on a trip that class was canceled (free period for me).

I had a 2nd grade class next. The wildest second grade class. I mean no disrespect to the teacher, but I don’t think that teacher has a good grasp on that class. Whenever I see that class, the teacher seems on the verge of losing it; the kids never seem to be on line, but move in a mob. Being the softy that I am I was little worried that I would not be able to control them in the science room, especially without a “reward” (bribery) for good behavior. In the room, a few kids tested me, I gave a few time-outs, but all in all I controlled the class. I didn’t sit (and rarely) turned my back on them. Only a few thrown crayons. I told them that if they went wild, they would be having lunch up there in the science room away from their friends, and if they spoke during my lunch detention, I would have them there again on Monday. That worked. At the end of the period, I had them in two straight lines and quiet. And the teacher was late. After waiting a couple of minutes, I opened the door to see what was holding up the teacher (her class was one door down on the other side of the hallway). She was in the hall gabbing away. The minute she walked into the room, the kids started to revert to the wild mob. I briefly reminded them about their lunchtime. I could tell the teacher was happy that the students were quietly lined up; she used that time (my lunch period) to lecture them about being good for the cooking lesson next period.
While she took her students, I took the wild boy (who could barely sit still in his seat) who tried testing me telling he had to go to the bathroom because it was an emergency. Once a returned the boy to the class, the class was wild again.

After lunch, wanting to reinforce the message I had given the wild class. The kids were all over the room…out of control. Seeing me, seemed to make the teacher happy. However, the results were opposite for the students, they got quiet fairly quickly. I reminded them that if they had not gotten their act together during the science period, I would be taking the trouble-makers for their lunch period. The teacher got very happy. “That’s right. I understand. They need to lose their free time”. She then went on to explain that that was the only class that didn’t cook because of their behavior.

I then noticed that the teacher was in the middle of the classroom just beginning to set up for the cooking lesson that she had mentioned in the science room would have taken place right after the science period (her prep period). The thoughts in my mind were:

What was she doing during her preparation period?
What was she doing for the last period that she said would be the cooking period?

The teacher kept asking for me to give her the names of the ones who were out of line during the science period. She wanted me the take those kids out of the room (knowing it would be the usual kids), hopefully giving her a stress free cooking period. I didn’t take the bait. My goal was just to put a little bit of fear, or at the very least, a chance for the kids to think twice the next time they come into a class that I am subbing for (or in a worst case scenario for the day that I have to sub for this teacher).

The next period was the kindergarten class that I had the long term sub assignment while the regular teacher was out sick. However, there was some confusion. The kindergarten teacher knew that the science teacher would be absent, but the office did not make an announcement that the prep period would be covered. Therefore, she didn’t bring the class up. By the time I went to check why she had not come (about 10 minutes), she did not want to stop her lesson to bring up the kids. So…another free period for me!

The last class was another kindergarten class (I did an all day sub for this teacher two days ago). The first year teacher has been struggling with this class, but they were very nicely behaved for me; I was looking forward to having this class for a period. It turns out one of the students was having a party, and she only needed a half a period to get ready.

Since Fridays are shortened days at this school, I was finished at 2:30. I was out of the building at 2:35. That was my work day! I had a very good work day.

In my shoebox about 3:10, I made an appointment for a summer job at a day camp. I know that if I don’t work, I will be bored out of my mind this summer. Also, I need the money. Before I moved to Japan, I was a summer camp counselor at this day camp for about 5 summers.

I got the impression that the lady on the phone (in charged of hiring) had not really looked at the application (and the resume) I had mailed in because she did not know (even though it was written on both) that I was a counselor at that day camp for 5 summers.

Any problems? The woman told me that the only counselor positions were for kids aged 4 and 5 years old. I really don’t want to be a babysitter, but I am going on the interview just in case something else becomes available for an older group.

On Saturday, I did my usually sleep all day routines. About 4pm, I went shopping at a local grocery store for a few things. I fried some pork chops, and made some 10 minute rice. After I finished cooking, I put the food aside so that I could get on my rowing machine for about 30 minutes.

I was so proud of myself. Usually, when the food is ready, I am ready to eat. I usually promise myself that I will exercise after I eat, but I never do. Somehow (with fried pork chops sitting on the side), I was able to get on my rowing machine for the 30 minutes.

So, how are things on the war front (between the Screamer and her boyfriend)? They seem fairly quiet (relatively speaking) for the last few days. However, I think they are slowing returning to their old patterns.

Now, I have some laundry to do. I also need to clean my shoebox.

I also need to upload these blog entries. I have about 12 pages of blog entries for the month of May. I think my last posting was April 23rd. I also have those Washington DC photos to upload to my other website (not to mention my Kyoto photos). Sorry, I am getting lazy on my computer.

Post Date Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:20pm