Monday, January 15, 2007

Old man shopping. Once again, another perfect opportunity to get organized has come and gone. Now I sit here procrastinating further. Another wasted weekend of not doing much. Yesterday, I went shopping for a shelving unit for my mini stereo system. I want to keep my stereo on wheels, so that I can roll it to anyroom I go to. After my experiences in the South Bronx where people would have their music blasting. I told myself that I would not have my music blasting.

Today, I started the day online shopping. I bought a case of paper for my classroom photocopy machine. Unfortunately, I am blinded by the super convenience of having a copy machine readily available at a moment’s notice. I also bought another toner cartridge. The copy machine cost me about $200. However, the ink at $88 per cartridge is killing me. Next month, I will have to reply the drum, that will be another $189. I’ve already bought about 2 or 3 cartridges already. This copy machine is turning into quite an investment. However, like I said, I’m blinded by the super convenience of having a copy machine.

Since I was already online at Staples, I decided to buy a couple of task chairs to replace the folding chair that I’ve been moving around each time I move. I also bought a mobile file cart. I really need to get organized. It really bothers me that people have lives, familes, and the ability to enjoy their evenings. Whereas I struggle to keep up. I am single, no kids, and no expensive hobbies, but I barely seem to be able to keep up.

After surfing for a couple of hours, I took a bath. After the bath? My plan was to go the the shopping area to pick up a chair. Confused?

This weekend, I finally unpacked the last of the boxes that seem liked they were planning to take up permanent residence in my bedroom. On Saturday, my bedroom set was delivered and set up. With the bedroom set up and the boxes, my room looked a bit small, but once the boxes were removed, I moved my bed over to the left side of the room, I discovered that my bedroom was much larger than I thought. At the moment, I am using only about half of my room. I decided to get another card table to put in my bedroom, and a strange looking …for lack of a better definition, a folding pocket chair. It looks (to me) like a big pocket. When I saw the new layout of my room, I thought having that pocket chair would look perfect by the bedroom door. Although, I tell myself that I will use it to have a place sit after I take a shower or bath. However, the reality is that it will probably become the place I throw my just “laundered clothes but I am too lazy to fold and put away” area. The card table will be my hobby table, for the jigswas puzzles never begun, and the paint by numbers, I’ve never finished.

I went to the imitation 5 & 10 store to buy the card table and the folding pocket chair. Since the Metro-North only comes once every hour, I tied the table and the folding chair to my mini shopping cart and walked back home (about 30 minutes). Once I got home, I discovered, that the chair was broken. I waited for the next Metro-North train, with the plan of taking the bus, or walking back. Oh, on the train, I only need to go one stop, there was a guy who must have been in his late teens or early 20s. Anyway, on the way out, of the train, on the platform, the guy held open the door leading off the platform. After I walked through, I said, “thank you”. To which, the guy, said….

Are you ready for this?

The guy said, “you’re welcome, sir. Sir! Did he need to say sir? I know today is Martin Luther King’s birthday, and now, it is a national holiday. I should be proud that a younger person called me sir…But, do I really look like a sir?

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

It turns out the chair did not take that long. I was able to return to the Metro-North station in time to catch the train heading North.

Once I returned home, I started cooking spare ribs. My plan was to do some lesson planning for next week, but I started reading the newspaper…procrastinating.

For dinner I had barbeque spare ribs, precooked microwavable brown rice, and green beans. After dinner, I watched TV, and now I am typing this blog entry. More procrastinating. Now, I am too tired to do anything but sleep.

No comments: