Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Testing time. And testing the limits. My students (and all students in public school from grades 3 to 6) are taking city-wide test in the next few days. I thought it was a bit strange to have a test almost a week, after the Christmas vacation, but what do I know. So, how do I think my class did? It is difficult to say, but I am sure they did not do great. They were a little hyper, but they showed some self-control that they are usually lacking. I did have a bit of a strange experience that I wanted to write about. Usually, there is a general "suggestion" that students have a good breakfast before a test. Today was the first time it seemed to be more than a "suggestion". This morning (actually yesterday morning), the principal got on the loudspeaker and announced that anyone who did not have breakfast that morning was to come to the lunchroom (note. announcement was made about 15 minutes before the test was planned to start). I call the office for confirmation, and yes, I was told that anyone who did not have breakfast was to be sent down to the lunchroom. I ask the class, "who did not have breakfast?" Do I really need to write the response here...Well, just in case some of you are a bit slow (like me), yes every hand went up. I called the office to let them know that every hand went up, and I was told that I needed to bring the whole class to the cafeteria. Being a bit stressed about this test, I really was not in the mood. I told my students that anyone who did not have breakfast, would receive a letter home...A second hand count was made and...only one hand went up. Later, I spoke to his grandmother, and she told me yes he did have breakfast. He had breakfast every morning. Then, his story was that he was still hungry. He gets to choose what he wants to eat. That morning and he had chosen toasted poptarts. No, not the healthiest of choices, but not the negligent case of hunger. His grandmother told me that he will usually have a choice of hot or cold cereal.

Oh, I almost forgot. Today left school about 4:45, that is early for me. What did I do? I stopped off at the bank to activate my new ATM debit card. When I arrived from Japan, the bank had just given me a regular bank card. I was always confused when a clerk would look at my bank card and say that I could not make a debit...only at a few stores. See, I told you I was slow.

I arrived home about 6:15, I stopped off for an order of Beef with Broccoli from a local Chinese takeout restaurant. I ate dinner, and promptly fell asleep about 7:15. I woke up about 3am. I am now typing this blog and I will try to squeeze in a couple of hours of sleep before I have to repeat the day again.

Oh, I almost forgot. Yesterday, I was planning to start rowing again. I got home about 7pm, I had eaten leftovers from my Sunday dinner (a cheap cut of steak and mac & cheese from the box), unfortunately, the heat and the hot water was not on, and had not come on the next morning. So, no exercising. Now, I probably won't start exercising until Saturday (or Sunday). My plan was to grade papers, but I was too tired this evening to even open my shopping cart. Yes, shopping cart. I stopped pretending that I could squeeze everything in a backpack. Once I get organized, I should be able to return to using a backpack.

No comments: