Sunday, May 25, 2008


A nice day. A nice event. I started off the day kind of wishing that I had not signed up for the group meeting event. However, I'm glad I went. It wasn't great, it wasn't good (per se), but it was nice. I only say it was not good in the sense that I really did not feel like a belong there. I'm not a die hard movie fan, nor am I a sports fan, so I really did not have much to do but nod my head and look interested.

About a month ago, I signed up for an online meeting group. The group was one of the movie and a dinner group. I chose this time because it was a three-day weekend, and I like science-fiction/action and adventure type of movies.

I started this morning late still a bit sluggish from the cold I just got over. After messing around online for a couple of hours, I had about 30 minutes to take my bath. Since I would be meeting a group of strangers, a bath was a necessity. I really wanted to relax in the tub, but I was pressed for time. My bathwater was ready hours ago, but again, once online, I tend to lose track of time. Anyway, I had to jump in and out, dress quickly to catch the 12:30 train into NYC. I caught my train and arrived in midtown about 1:10PM. Since the weather was nice, and I had time, I decided to walk to the theater rather than take the subway one stop up. I stopped off at the bank to make sure I had money for the dinner afterward. I Fandagoed my movie ticket so it would be there when I arrived. It is actually more expensive to buy your movie ticket online through Fandango, but the event organizer said that the movie might be sold out. The meetup was at the movie theater at a midtown Loews. I was surprised by how empty the theater was. I was expecting it to be full of people. The lobby was empty, and the theater was about 2/3 full. I ordered a small popcorn ($4.75). Since I was still fighting the lingering effects of a cold, I sat near the back. Actually, that was the excuse I had lined up if anyone asked why I was by myself. However, no one asked. Everyone was fairly spread out.

So how was the movie "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Kingdom"? It was okay. If you are a stickler for realism in your sci-fi movies, than you probably won't like the movie. If you are willing to suspend realism for the sake of entertainment, then you might enjoy the movie. I thought the movie was visually stunning. They really went all out to give the movie the look and feel of the 1950s. There were parts that were annoying (like escaping a nuclear blast by hiding in a lead-lined refrigerator). I also thought the movie was a bit too long due to chase scenes that seemed to go on for ever. After the movie was the group dinner.

The group walked a few city blocks to a local Italian pizza restaurant. On the way, a lady in the group asked me questions about Harrison Ford like was he still going out with the skinny woman (Calista Flockheart), and did I think he look a little bit fatter in this movie(the guy is over 60 years old, what did she expect).

In the restaurant, tables were arranged for the group of us (16 total participants = 10 women and 6 men). The woman sat at one end and the men sat at the other. The event organizer sat almost near the middle. The people were very nice, but I really didn't fit in. I was just a sitting wall flower. The women mostly talked about other movies (dramas and indies) and online dating. The guys mostly talked about sports. And I just mostly nodded. I ordered Penni with sausages. When it came time to pay. Each person was supposed to pay for what he or she ordered. I thought I was covered by putting in $20. On the menu, my meal cost about $14. However, when the bill arrived, somehow my sausages were "opened grilled". I ended up having to put in another $10. The total bill for the group's meal was about $312(including a %20 gratuity). Oh, and my meal was very salty. So, would I do it again? Yes, I think I would. It was hard work (for me) because I don't have the social skills or interests to carry a conversation. Hopefully, if I joined more meet ups, then it should become easier. However, I'll wait for another Sci-fi or action movie. I'll pass on the dramas.

After the dinner the group split up. I decided to walk off the salty Penni dinner by walking to 42nd street. I made a stop to visit my foster father, then I headed for home. I stopped off at the local bodega to buy a pint of Haagen-Dazs(butter pecan).


Completion Date - Sunday, May 25, 2006 10:51PM
Post Date - Saturday, June 22, 2008 11:11AM

No comments: