Sunday, January 03, 2010

Social Networking Event



Today, was the (probably) last social network event I plan. It was basically another wasted effort. My event had the "Science-fiction" theme. My group mission was to find others interested in science-fiction, fantasy, comic books, and graphic novels, movies (with the same themes), etc... Would you believe once again, with a group of about 33, I still had no one who was interested in those themes show up. Oh, I did add "40+ Guys (giving women the option of also attending if they wanted), but no one. I did link up with another group by posting my event on their site, t group has over 1,050 members (their group theme is NYC). From the other group, one one woman showed up. She many came because she wanted to see "Avatar". She seemed bored by the comics, stayed for the movie (anted to sit up near the front), and was gone the minute we stepped into the hallway. At least this one took the time to say good bye before leaving.

Quick summary -the planned schedule

1:30PM - Barnes and Nobles Bookstore (Graphic Novels)
2:15PM - Coffee / Tea in the B&N cafe
2:45PM - Walk over to Forbidden Planet (Comics)
3:00PM - Browse the Shelves at Forbidden Planet
3:45PM - Walk over to the Regal Theater
4:00PM - See the Movie "Avatar"
7:30PM - Dinner (a nearby restaurant)
8:30PM - End of the Event

Although, I had two members RSVP "Yes" for the event (with about 9 "Maybe" RSVP). For the Barnes & Nobles part no one showed. I stayed about 90 minutes. Since you can stay and read the books, it is like a library. When I left, I was about $68.46 poorer.

My purchases:
101 Things to Do With A Slow Cooker
Green Lantern - The Sinestro Corps War
E. E. Knight's Dragon Rule (Book Five)
United States Puzzle - 55 pieces
The Global Puzzle - 600 pieces

The last two where more impulse buys (picked up on the way to the cashier). Whenever someone used to ask about my hobbies, instead of saying I don't have any, I would always say jigsaw puzzles, but to this day, I have complete few (if any). However, I do remember liking jigsaw puzzles. When I saw the global puzzle (with pieces shaped like the countries), I really liked it. Although my geography skills are not what they should be, I shouldn't have any problems finishing the global puzzle. However, realizing I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw, I decided to start off with something easy like the United States (hopefully without looking at the box).

Next stop, was Forbidden Planet the local comic shop (and about $10 poorer)

War Machine #11
Justice Society #34
Astonishing X-Men #33

At $2.99 apiece, I tried to find comics that wouldn't have me returning for the next issue. Being the cheapskate that I am becoming in my old age, I really don't like buying comics that are basically the same shape and size (about 15 pages including pages of advertisements). After about 30 minutes, I received a call from one of the members from the other group who had RSVPed "Maybe". She arrived only to see the movie "Avatar". From the way she was staring at the comics, I knew she was only there to see the movie.

Last was the movie. I thought I was being smart to get to the theater early, but the theater was PACKED!!! Although I avoid the ticket line by purchasing my ticket online, there was still a long, very, very long line to get into the actually theater playing the movie. The line extended down the hall, around the corner to the back and then wrapped around and ended near the theater #8 doors. I offered the lady with me to select the seats she was comfortable with...she wants to sit in the near the front...crap! As soon as we sit down, and the theater is full, the lady starts wondering out loud if there are better seats in the back, and noticing (or thought she noticed available seats in the back. During the 2.5 hour movie, the lady was a bit restless twisting and turning in her sit. As soon as the movie was over (and the first credits hit the screen), the lady was up and ready to leave. As soon as we made it into the secondary lobby, the lady tells me she has to go. I was actually glad the "event" was over. I wasn't in the mood to eat, so I just headed for home.

Oh, the movie "Avatar" was very good. I LOVED THE SPECIAL EFFECTS!!! I thought the characters were very well acted.

Above is a short slideshow of a few pictures I took during the event.

Post Date - Sunday, January 3, 2009 4:13AM

7 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh my. I feel bad your event didn't work out. I hope you get some entertainment out of the books, though. And it sounds like the movie was good.

Jannx said...

That's just my luck. Yes, I thought the movie was very good.

James said...

Avatar has been getting good reviews1 Do you think it will earn any Oscar nods? Alas, I've not seen it yet.

Jannx said...

Most definitely in technical catagories, but probably not in the other areas.

Jeff said...

I saw Avatar a second time today. As you said, the acting probably won't earn much, but the special effects were through the roof.

I saw it in the IMAX 3D this time, and there was so much more I noticed this time around. It's a very close-up movie for a lot of it, and I'll be darned if you can't see the individual pores and hairs on each person's face. I was amazed.

I'm also sorry your social networking event didn't work out. I hope something else works out for you.

Did you get The Sinestro Corps War volume 1 or 2? I have both of them, and I think it was a great story. The word is still out on whether or not the now-ongoing Blackest Night story will be as good, but so far, it is.

Have a good week. I trust you're going back to school this week?

Jannx said...

Hello Jeff. Thanks for the kind words about the social networking failure. It is not a big deal, that's just my luck. I did sign up for another online social networking site. I answered the questions honestly. The questions, I didn't know the answers to, I just left blank. I'll see if I have any success with this one.

Sinestro Corps War. I bought volume 1. I didn't know there was more than one part to it until I finished reading it. I enjoyed it, so now I'll have to get volume two.

Yep. Schools here in NYC resume tomorrow. Our next big vacation is the midwinter recess in about 6 weeks(9 days).

On TV, the report was on failed New Year's Resolutions, they mentioned suggestions for the "Get in Shape" resolution. The guy in the report said that a person has to commit at least 5 weeks before the desire to exerise takes root. I'm going to try to do some exercising for a 5 week time period and see if that helps.

Anonymous said...

Nackte Weiber

Anal Fotzen

Telefonsex Chat