Sunday, January 31, 2010

Museum & a Movie

My Saturday was nice. One of the members who attended a couple of previous "Movie & Dinner" group event asked if I would be interested in going to the Rubin Museum. The guy was very nice. He has a very interesting life, and he was more than willing to share every detail of that interesting life. I learned the details about his two marriages, his house, his jobs (past and present), working conditions, plans for the future, and difficulties (past and present). Since the conversation was so detailed, we had only seen about a floor and a half of the 4 or 5 floors worth of exhibitions. Normally, I would have seen most (if not all)of the exhibitions.

After the museum, we ate at a nice Chinese restaurant. My epal's plan was for us to share a bowl of soup, but luckily, the waitress mentioned that one bowl was not enough. Epal had pork and wonton soup, I had chicken wonton soup. It was very cold yesterday here in NYC. I didn't dress for the weather. The restaurant with its wall of windows was very drafty and cold.

After the meal, epal needed to buy a couple of dress shirts for work. He was going to take the train a couple of stops to Macy's in Herald Square. I suggested we walk. I had hoped the walk would warm me up. Yes, even though it was freezing outside. It worked.

In Macy's, we went to the dress shirts department, but epal couldn't find a style and/or size he wanted (I don't remember which). Epal next went right to the young men's department (he's 58 years old). He didn't seem to realize that he was in the young men's department, and was ready to give up because he couldn't find something in his size (medium). After finally convincing epal that there had to be regular men's department, -- I was starting to get confused as well. It just seemed strange that someone wouldn't know that there are different departments, and I tend to get confused very easily. Epal let me ask a clerk for the regular men's department. We found it. The main surprise, a ratty, torn flannel shirt, with bleach stains was being sold for $90. $90!!! Epal finally agreed on two dress!?! shirts with patches on the elbows. I wasn't sure how to deal with the situation. I wasn't sure if the guy would have gotten self-conscious if I started suggesting the shirts were not dress, or how to be tactful without appearing too critical. In the end, I didn't say anything. It was a bit strange, the guy just took two shirts off the rack, checked the sizes and went to the cashier. Didn't even hold it to himself to try visualizing the shirt on. I don't like shopping, but I never imagine just walking in picking items off a rack and walking directly to the cashier.

After Macy's, epal said he wanted to go home to take a nap. Since it was only about 4:20PM, I decided to go to see a movie. I went to see Sherlock Holmes. I liked the movie. The style and pace of the movie was very nice. I also like the setup of Professor Moriarty as the villian for a possible sequel. After the movie, I headed home with a stop at MacDonald's.


Post Date - Sunday, January 31, 2010 3:28PM

4 comments:

Jeff said...

This is kind of a funny story. I guess different strokes for different folks, huh?

A Paperback Writer said...

I really liked the Sherlock Holmes movie when Max and I went to see it over Christmas break.

Jeff said...

I watched X-Men III and X-Men: Wolverine in one night. They were obviously by different directors, but I liked Wolverine a little better.

Jannx said...

Hello Jeff and Paperback. Thanks for posting. I've been "a bit out of it" lately. I'll try to get myself back on track. J