Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Slow moving queues to nowhere.

Today I was planning to write about some of the service experiences I had today. It just so happens to be the exact same topic as the comment left by anonymous.

Today I went to the post office to cancel a couple of international postal money orders that I purchased when I first arrived back in New York (when I thought that I would be returning to teaching very quickly). Something told me to wait on line even though I only had a question. People look at you funny when you jump in front of them on line. Anyway, I waited until my turn arrived. The postal clerk said, “next”, and I stepped up to her window:

PC: May I help you?
J: Yes, I would like to cancel a couple of international money orders. Can I deposit those international money orders into my bank account, or do I have to ask for a refund here at the post office?
PC: If you want a refund, you will need to show two forms of ID.
*While I am searching for my wallet (it was in my backpack)….
PC: I don’t have any money.
J: Excuse me?
PC: I don’t have any money.
J: You don’t have any money!?!?
* It is about 2 in the afternoon…
PC: I just got here.

After waiting on line for about 10 or 12 minutes, I expected the PC to direct me somewhere, but she said nothing. She just looks at me. I could have returned to the line to wait for another available clerk, or I could have meandered over to another clerk. However, I thought that the PC should have directed me to someone who could have helped me. Yes, I know some who are reading this will say, “you should have opened your mouth. Well, each is entitled to his or her opinion.
I was going to give another similar example (same day minutes later) of service in my neighborhood, but I think that you get the general point.

No comments: