Sunday, February 18, 2007

Vacation / Recuperation has begun. However, it is off to a slow start. For the last couple of weeks I have been so stressed out that I did not even think that I would make it to the vacation. However, I did make it. Yesterday (Saturday), was a very nice day in terms of the weather. Since I needed to go to the post office, I was looking forward to the walk and just getting out. The walk again (see previous blog entry), was about an hour starting at the bottom of a very steep, and very big hill. Yesterday I thought I would try to go another way hoping that I would be able to find a less steep hill along the way. To get to the post office, it is basically a direct northerly walk. Think of a warped rectangle. I could either start with a 15 minute walk up a steep side of a mountain (or big hill), and then just walk along the main road north for about another 40 minutes. Yesterday, I did not mind the walk, but I did not want to start out hiking up the side of a mountain. Remember, I mentioned that the inclination is about 45 degrees. That kind of hike needs a few minutes to get mentally psyched. I did not have it when I walked out my building door and saw the slush and ice. Nice weather, but melting slush and ice. And me, in my new sneakers. My plan was to start the walk along my street northerly then find a less steep hill (side of a mountain) after I had time to get mentally psyched. It also gave me the chance to reexplore my neighbored. Remember, I mentioned that I used to live here before I moved to Japan.

Anyway, I started my walk, and after a couple of residential blocks, my street was a dead end. Luckily, there was a park at the end with a gradual angular/diagonal northeastern direction. After I got out of the park, I could see only the side of a mountain. However, I was not too nervous, I was almost sure there were at least a couple of cross streets that take me up to North Broadway -- the main street that would take me directly to the entrance to the office complex (the location of the post office). After exiting the park, I was on the next main street up the side of the mountain. North Broadway was the next main street. After walking about 15 or 20 minutes, I finally came to a cross street. Very steep, but I had no choice. After walking up the steep street, the street took a sharp turn right (south) – the opposite direction I wanted to go. Having just walked up the side of a mountain – yes, mountain. Westchester is mountainous, not hills. So, no more big hills.

At the top of the street, the residential houses end, the street becomes a road that continues in a southern direction on my right. On the left, is another park with a path. I told myself since I see houses and buildings, there must be a cross street. See, I am very bad with directions, I could get lost in an empty room with one door. When I walk I will do one of two things. I’ll stick to a main road a walk along it, or I allow myself to wander in a specific directions hoping eventually, to come to a train station or bus stop. Those methods have served me for many years living in Manhattan. However, Westchester is an animal of a different stripe.

As I walk along the park path (even though I am traveling in the correct direction), I can’t help but feeling as if I am lost. I see more houses below me on my left, and woods on my right. I do see the North Broadway road on the next tier up, but no way to get there. The park path I am on now is starting to slope down towards the left (northwest [off and away from my rectangle]). The last thing, I wanted was to get lost. The post office closes at 1pm. I am a walking contradiction. I hate being late, but I am so often (nearly late). My problem is that I am good at know time distance traveled to get where I need to (often to the minute), the problem is that once a time is locked in my head, it is hard for me to change my mental schedule. I don’t mind arriving early, but I too quickly get comfortable with being on time. I like getting to a place on time (not early, [definitely] not late, just on time). Problem, my mental schedule often does not factor in train delays, getting lost, or slow daydreaming walkers (who seem to have no place to go). Last week, on my way to work, this lady, stops on the stairs – the only stairs leading to the trains. She stops to search for her wallet, Metro card, or money. And the train is pulling into the station. A couple of weeks ago, a guy “Joe Cool” (too cool to run for the train) strolls up the stairs – why is there only one set of stairs leading to the trains? The guy takes his sweet time, doing his thug walk up the stairs. Only after he reaches the top (and the turnstile) and the train is still in the station, does he make a run for it. He makes it, I don’t. I wasn’t late, but I was extremely annoyed. Sorry, I got sidetracked.

Where was I?

Oh, I am in the wooded area. I finally came to a residential apartment building with an open gate. Even though the gate sign said “no trespassers”, I ignored it. I exited the wooded area going though the parking area of the apartment complex. I am now in a ritzy area (I can tell by the cars and the people). I am also walking down a wide road going east. I don’t recognize anything. When I exited the apartment area, I was expecting to see the giant water (?!?!?) tower with the words “Yonkers” written on it. The office complex is at (or near) the base.

When I finally reached North Broadway, I asked a guy walking his dog where the office complex was. It turned out I had over shot my destination, by a quarter of a mile.

Well, I arrived at the post office thinking it was closed. I got my package, and I only had to wait 20 minutes. Why do postal workers move so slowly? There were two clerks when I arrived, but one went to look for something, and never returned, except strolling past a couple of times to say, “just a minute, I am still looking”. And of course, when I finally reach a window, another clerk arrives (also dragging her feet). So, while I am waiting at the counter, the clerk (very grandmotherly), complains to the newly arrived clerk about the old guy who was gone “searching” for something.

On my way out of the office complex, my first plan was to go my regular direction back home, but I decided to take the cross street near the office complex. Yes, a very steep…oh, you get the mental picture. There was a hospital on the left, and smaller office building on the right side with woods behind it. It turned out to be that street with the sharp turn going south. If I had not been lazy about walking up the side of the mountain in the opposite direction, I would have been at my destination. The steep walk was only 5 minutes from the point I made the mistake of turning left (into the wooded area) and continuing up the winding road. It turns out that I went about 15 or 20 minutes out of the way.

When I arrived about a block away from my home, I decided to have Chinese takeout for dinner and a pint of ice cream. Unfortunately, I’ve been eating about a couple of pints of ice cream (one each Saturday and Sunday) for the last couple of weekends. And no exercising. Yes, my jelly belly has returned. I think I mentioned in a previous blog entry that I’ve had to put away my 34 waist pants. Hopefully, that is only temporary.

Since the weather was so nice, I decided to walk south to the large supermarket (about a 30 minute walk from my home). I don’t like to pint ice cream at the cheap local bodegas nearby. Anyway, I arrived at the big supermarket. The place was packed!!! To make it worth my while, I also bought a couple of boxes of cereal (strawberry mini wheat, and cold cereal I can’t remember at this moment). Oh, and precooked rice in mini cups. Just microwave and eat. Those are very convenient during the work week. When I arrived home after a stressful day, I don’t feel like cooking. My usual choices are leftovers (which I don’t usually have), and fast food. With instant rice, and frozen meat and vegetables), I almost have a healthy home cooked meal. Usually, I fix a plate; change my clothes (while my food is heating in the microwave), and then I eat.

After the store, I walked to the Chinese place for a takeout order of fried chicken and fried rice. In the restaurant (while I was waiting for my food), I sat down. I was on my feet walking and standing for about 4 hours (without sitting). I felt like the old me.
At home, DVD, regular TV, then back to DVD. I finally got to watch the Fantastic Four DVD I had bought months ago (see previous blog entry). The movie was not great, or very exciting, but it was okay. After Fantastic Four, I watched a couple of PBS comedies (Are You Being Served) on regular TV. I don’t have cable. I feel asleep on the couch (folded futon actually).

No comments: