Saturday, October 20, 2007

By now, I'm sure you've already figured out that I am a bit behind in my blogging. Sorry. From head colds, to shoulder pain, to rapidly approaching deadlines, I have not been in the mood for blogging this past week. However, I know I have one (or two) who enjoys reading my blog, so I will try to be more diligent in the future. I am going to try to set a 30 minutes limit to blogging.

Well, on with the recap.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, October 13, 2007
Today was the first day of my Saturday PD class. Professional Development classes (the good ones) fill up very quick, so you have to grab what you can. It was only after I'd registered that I discovered the travel requirements. To get to class on time, I would have to take the 6:30am Metro North train. The new class is located in Brooklyn. It wasn't until a couple of days ago, that I did Internet map search to find the specific travel routes (by mass transit). Since I was up until 2am the night before, I was not in the best of shape (or mood) this morning. I did manage to catch my train.

The PD class is on the basics of Microsoft applications. Two trains, and a bus ride later, I arrived at the school at about 8:20am. Needless to say, I was the first one to arrive. The guy who is teaching the class is also the principal of the school where the class is being held. Strange. It is the first time I've seen a principal wanting to teach. I did tell myself that if and when I ever became an administrator, I would continue to maintain a presence in the classroom. The guy was actually a nice guy. He had a pleasant manner about him. He really didn't carry himself like an administrator. The only hint that showed he is one of the "others", was with his comment on doing things correct:

"If I ask you to do something, if you do it your way does not mean that your way is wrong. But it is wrong because it is not done my way."

Yep, that's an administrator.

The class was from 9am to 3pm. The instructor did go a bit too fast with his explanations, but he earned a lot of points for taking the time to circulate and provide practice opportunities. He also taught like a host hosting a party, he mingled and he checked. He was fairly mobile. With every new concept presented, the instructor made sure he made the rounds to check and see that everyone understood. He didn't just rely on the vague and distant question, "do you(all) understand". He did take regular breaks, and we go a 30 minute lunch break. I enjoyed the lesson. Even me fighting the urge to sleep, didn't diminish the experience. Although, I am fairly comfortable with the basic desktop applications the instructor presented, I still learned a couple of tricks (like format paintbrush). The format paintbrush will be very useful on my homework sheet.

We were finished at 3pm. On the way home, I decided to stop off at bookstore. I finished R.A. Salvatore's book, Spearwielder's Tale. I enjoyed the writing, and the characters. The ending of each part of the trilogy were nice, but after thinking about them, I was a bit disappointed. I like happy endings, and the endings were fairly happy, but still, I could help getting the feeling "is that all feeling". Without giving away an plots, I'll just say that characters are given opportunities for big things, but end up say, "no thank you".

Anyway, I was in a good mood, and the weather was nice. I got off at the 14th street and Union Square. I was planning to go to the small Barnes & Nobles near the Union Square park, but decided to go to the main B & N on 5th avenue. My thinking was that of the various stores the main flagship store is sure to have an incredible selection.

OH BOY was I was wrong. I've been to a couple of B&N's that took almost half a store floor space.

What did the flagship store have?

Two single-standing bookcases. What a major disappointment!!! Anyway, since I was there I did peruse the meager selection. After about 30 or 40 minutes of my usually indecisiveness, I finally settled on R.R. Martin's "A Storm of Swords". I tried to find the next E.E. Knight's Dragon book "Dragon Outcast", but the clerk told me that it won't be out until December. What happened to the Children of Hurin? I remember the book after I started looking through the book selection, but since I was there, I decided to buy another book anyway.

After B&N, being bored, I went to MacDonald's on 14th street. There was something I was supposed to write about MacD., but I can't remember. Anyway, when I got home, I did a blog entry. I also did something else.

I did my first online shopping for groceries. Have I really gotten that lazy? The cost was about $70(including the "shop at home" fee[$15] and the $5 tip I gave to delivery guy).

Well, I think that is about it for now...


Post Date - Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:52pm

No comments: