Sunday, October 07, 2007

Thursday, October 4, 2007
Today was a fairly easy day. I received a call from AP1 that the meeting with the worried parent would take place at about 10:15am. Later(at about 11:00am), I received a call from AP1 to bring my students down to the lunch room, they would be watch while I had the meeting with the parent and AP1. I was expecting the meeting to last 15 or 20 minutes. I arrived with my class in the lobby. The parent was there, but AP1 wasn't. The parent told me that AP1 had another matter to attend to. I was hoping for AP1 to be there, I did not want to speak (and show my hand) until AP1 arrived. After taking a long(slow) walk to the bathroom, AP1 still had not arrived. So, I had no choice but to sit and wait. The parent started talking first about how the meeting wasn't really about me.

?!?!?

She was worried about other teacher's attitude towards her son...and then finally, she was worried about her son's work.

To be honest, I wanted the slap, but in the end, it turned into more of a finger pluck. I explained how I was going to share my concerns about her son on the day she informed me of the meeting, but I told her I decided against it. She quickly told me that she really did not want to get me into trouble, she was just worried about her son. I wanted to say, "you sure have a funny way of not getting me into trouble. Calling a meeting with the Admin. is not the best way to express concerns". However, in the end, I didn't say anything. I did show her her son's work so far. She got a bit nervous. I had the feeling that she took the low grades personally. She admitted that she is trying to help her son. She is teaching him multiplication, division, and fractions, and is feeling a bit frustrated that he isn't getting it. She went on about how frustrating it is to know that her son can remember a song or an event that happened 2 years ago, but can't remember something she is teaching him now. I tried explaining the human nature of what she just described. I also tried offering suggestions on how she could help her son. Number 1, was that the focus of "help" should be coming from the child not from her. She should be solidifying the basics, not trying to add more before he is ready. Unfortunately, I think she still has her heart set on "having her son earn some kind of title in the future (MD or PhD etc...)". Each suggestion from me resulted in the following kind of response:

OkayokayIseeIshoulddothisandthenthisand...

I wanted to say lady, get a grip...But I didn't. By the end of the meeting(about 12pm), I think I made some progress. I just hope it was enough. I think the meeting went very well (from my point of view). From a determined parent, to a parent grabbing her purse (seemingly) eager to leave. Stupid me, when I am on a roll, I don't know when to shut up and walk away. The meeting could have ended in 15 or 20 minutes, but I didn't know how to end the meeting. I was on top from beginning to end, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Oh, what happened to AP1? AP1 arrived about 10 minutes, opening up with "our curriculum is challenging, and becoming more challenging. She was also very happy that I didn't come to the meeting empty-handed. When she saw that I was able to support myself with the student's work, and she saw that the parent wasn't really angry... but concern, AP1 took off. Strange. She must have had another emergency.

The meeting finally ended during the kids'/my lunch period, so I did not have to pick up the kids. I did have to return to the room to allow a couple of students to get their lunches. By the time, I was ready to get my lunch, the lunch period was almost over. I decided to put my milk and juice in the refrigerator. With only about 2 minutes to go before it was time to pick up the kids, the UFT rep. tells me that there is union meeting in the teacher's room. She said that she put a notice in the teachers' mailboxes, but I don't remember seeing any notice. And since there was only one other teacher who just happened to be in the teacher's lounge at that time, I suspect she might have forgotten. I hate being late picking up my kids. I like getting my kids before the mad rush starts. But, I ended up staying for the "shorten" meeting.

With no time to eat, I grabbed a couple of oatmeal cookie bars that were left out for the meeting.

The afternoon was fairly nice. I had one period to teach, then I had my planning preparation period (I like afternoon prep periods). Then, small group. Here in NYC, the last period of instruction is what is called the 37.5 small group (literacy)instruction. Only those students in need of tutorial assistance are supposed to be in attendance. Whereas in other schools, the 37.5 minute period is optional for students, at my school it is mandatory. Although I suspect it is from an Admin decision that it is easier to have one dismissal time instead of two (that is just my opinion), the (official) argument that "all of our students would benefit from the 37.5 minute period" is a valid one. Even though I have my entire class during the 37.5 minute period, I like the period. Actually, I am supposed to have someone in my room during the period to work with a small group as well. The third group is supposed to be of independent workers. However, this year like last year, I've been assigned an out of classroom teacher whose schedule is often too busy to allow him to assist me with a group of 5 kids. I think my co-teacher has only assisted twice since school has started. I am from the old school, if work has to be done, then I don't waste time worrying if "so and so" will be here to do his part. My main concern is the lowest group of readers (my group), the middles (the music teacher's group) and the (relatively speaking) high readers can work independently. My area of weakness is getting the groups settled on time so that I can work with the lower group.

Okay, moving on. I left school about 6:30pm. Sorry to say, I've started to ignore that annoying fire drill bell used to say, "get out now". Although next week, I really am going to have to make an effort to get out earlier so that I can get to the gym. I know most (if not all of you) reading this blog have given up on me ever going to the gym. However, I will prove you wrong...eventually. I now have Tuesday as my start date to start working out at the gym with a Monday through Friday routine.

Anyway, I was out of the building about 6:30pm, and I got caught by the talkative, extremely talkative kindergarten teacher. I had a feeling she was in a talkative mood. It almost looked like she was waiting for someone. I saw her "looking" at bulletin boards. I walked past her and went to the lobby bathroom thinking she would be gone when I got out. Out of the bathroom...she wasn't there. Outside the building...there she was. Caught!!!!

She talked about the lack of loyalty for the principal. She talked about how she moved two classrooms worth of books and furniture. She talked about how she has to organize her classroom closet. She talked about the problems other teachers bring to the school. She talked about the house she fixed up with her daughter. She talked about the tumor on her neck. She talked about how she stopped eating fish on the advice of one of the security guards. She talked about the tenant problem she had. She talked about the loan problems she had. She talked about her bank being bought out by another bank. I'm trying to paint a mental picture. The lady likes to talk.

The one-sided monologue went on for about 30 or 40 minutes. After a day of kids shouting, banging and screaming, I needed the peace and quiet of an evening walk to the train station. This lady was giving me a headache. Looking at my watch didn't help. Slowly walking didn't help. She would start walking with me, and then somehow end up in front of me. She even talked in the middle of the street. Okay, not really in the middle, she was more like 3 or 4 feet in the street(still talking). With the traffic light changing (yet again), I told her to come back to the sidewalk. And she started talking again. The way I was feeling, if I had mace, I probably would have used it. After about 20 or 30 minutes (time just seemed to stop), she decided that she could walk (with me) to the train station. And she continued talking on the way.

In hindsight, it is possible she might have been afraid to walk to the train station. Although, she often leaves the school late, sometimes later than I do. Also, she talks a lot in school. On more that a few occasions, I have had to walk my class around her while she was talking in the middle of the hallway about something or another. I forgot to mention, she also talked about how she does not drive her car because the alarm doesn't work and she is worried about disturbing her neighbors. For those of you wondering, if I had thought it was a matter of fear, then of course I would definitely have walked her to the train station...any train station she needed to go to. Incessant talker or not. Unfortunately, I was tired, and annoyed and I wasn't thinking clearly. I just wanted to get away from her. Sorry. In the future, if I see her again -- I will avoid the urge to run in the opposite direction. If it is dark outside, I will offer to walk her to her station.

I ended up arriving home about 8pm. Another tiring day, with no dinner. Out like a light in a matter of minutes of just "resting for a few minutes". The upside is that I've lost a few pounds from skipping dinner. Now, I weigh about 197lbs.


Post Date - Sunday, October 7, 2007 6:19pm

I just reread what I just posted. Yes, I know. There seems to be a smack of hypocrisy with my statements about the kindergarten teacher. So, I think an apology is in order. However, I still believe I don't talk as much as the kindergarten teacher. My conversation are usually topic specific, after that, I don't really have much to say.

No comments: