Sunday, October 07, 2007

Wednesday, October 3, 2007
The kids were (relatively) okay. Today was a fairly easy-going day. It is nice not having the "personalities" that I had last year. Not much to write about today. The meeting with the parent was postponed until Thursday. AP1 told me that a "bigwig is coming for a meeting with the principal, and she should be there". I'm going to pass on reading between the lines on that one. :)

Today, the college intern came. I have to say I am happy that she has started to warm up a bit. I don't know if I mentioned the college intern. Part of the process for getting a degree in education requires field work in the classroom. This intern will be my third since I've been at this school. I think there are about thirty this fall semester. Quick summary of my interns:

#1 - (Fall 2006)Young woman, early 20's(African-American). Nice. Eager to assist. Messy penmanship.
#2 - (Spring 2007)Older gentleman, early to mid 50's(European-American). "Had to be there because of a class requirement." Hid in the back of the room.
#3 - (current)Young woman, early 20's (Hispanic - specifics unknown). Bad first impression, but has started feeling comfortable in the classroom. First comment/first impression? Arrived in the middle of a lesson, "I have to observe math lessons. I will sit in the back of the room. I have to interview a student." At first, I thought she was some kind of administrator in training. Very cold and impersonal. She had the same "shell-shocked look" as intern #2.

Today, intern #3 felt more comfortable and sat at a table with the students. And even felt comfortable with telling "Beady Betty" to stop talking. On top of incessant speaking (not talking but speaking), she rattles the beads in her hair like a mad maraca. She will talk to anyone and everyone. And when there is no one she will often start speaking out loud. To be honest, I can't tell you how many times, I've visualize duct tape when she starts her rantings. No, this is not "Sticky fingers Freda" (another duct tape candidate). Of course I am not going to act on the "duct tape fantasies", but a guy can't stop the mental images. :)

School ended the same as in previous days. At home about 8pm. For dinner, I had beef lo mein from the local Chinese restaurant near the MN station.

Well, that's it for now.



Post Date - Sunday, October 7, 2007 3:08pm

No comments: