Sunday, June 19, 2011

Wicked

Yesterday was my second Broadway show.  I almost missed it.  I was returning to my "eat/sleep away the weekend" mode.  I wasn't in the mood to see the show.  But since I already had my ticket and I was the one who had planned the social networking event, I decided to go anyway.  Once again, no one signed up, so I was going solo. 

I arrived with a minute to spare.  I paid for an obstructed view, so my ticket was a bit cheaper than others.  The view wasn't  that bad.

Anyway, at 2hrs and 45minutes (almost three hours), I thought the show was very nice.  I'm not really a musical kind of guy, but I thought it was a nice show.  I enjoyed "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" more.  For someone like me, I need a hook to enjoy a musical (for the "Desert" it was the songs).  For "Wicked", I enjoyed the retelling of a familar story most know so well.  Now, I want to read the book.  After doing a Google search, I just discovered that there are about 40 stories of Oz adventures.  From Wikipedia, I learned that the original author wrote about 15 of the first part of the series.  Another author wrote the next 15 books in the series.  And various other authors wrote the remaining books in the series.  I had no idea this book was a series or a cash cow.  I did a quick search  on Amazon.com to see if they had a complete collection of the series.  Yes, they did.  However, the bound books are a collection minus the illustrations.  I think I would like to have the series -- only the first part written by the original author.  I'm not interested in the cash cow continuation.  I'll have to try reading the original book I bought a few months ago.  I was bored by it then.  However, I'll see if I can get into the book again.  If I can enjoy the first book, then I think this would be a good series to get on an electronic reader.  I'm still holding out for an e-reader.   The Stephen King book "The Dome" is also on my to read list.  However, I don't want to get an e-reader until I finish reading  the paperback books I already have.  And yet, I keep buying more books.  It will be quite awhile before I get an e-reader, unless I buy one on an impulse.

Anyway, I was entertained by the show.  And I was lucky enough to have a seat right by the exit with the bathroom.  With my second Broadway show, I'm learning that it pays to leave quickly to reach the bathroom, or you will have to wait on a long line (although not nearly as long as the women's line).

After "Wicked", I walked to 42nd street to see "X-men: First Class". I enjoyed the movie, despite the rowdy crowd in the theater.  It has been a long time since I've been in a theater where people talk loudly during the movie, and making loud comments during the movie.  As for the movie itself.  I thought all of the characters were well casted.  If you can get past the "creative license" the movie takes with the origins, then I think most sci-fi fans will enjoy the movie.  It isn't a great movie, but I think it is an enjoyable one.

After the movie I stopped at Midtown Comics Shop to use the 25% coupon that was in the free daily paper.  My last stop of the evening was dinner at Tick Tock Diner on 34th Street.  I had their BBQ bacon burger with waffle fries, soda, and pie with ice cream for dessert.  I won't even count the calories for that meal.  Since I haven't exercised this weekend, and I've been eating nothing healthy for the last three days,
I guess you could say that (in a way), I've been Wicked.  Smile

I asssumed that picture taking wouldn't be allowed, so I didn't bother to take my camera.  the only photo I took was during intermission when others were taking out their cell phones. I took a photo of the stage screen.  The logo attached to this entry was taken from the internet.  My photo is the small one. 

No comments: