Monday, February 13, 2006

Trapped!!! (Part 2)

After my last entry, I expected a relaxing (stress-free) finally evening...When will I ever learn.

After eating (Chinese take-out), I decided to spend the last evening watching my handheld little TV in my room. To be sure that my television watching experience was not interrupted, I went out to buy some batteries. After arriving at the closest convenient store (about a 10 minute walk away). The place was closed! One of the clerks recommended another 24 hour place. Returning to the hostel, I return to my room and notice that another person has his(???) things on the bed above mine. Background information.

Because of the snowstorm, I had to reserve another night. I thought that I would be able to keep my same room (same bed), but I was incorrect. The morning desk clerk gave me another bed in the same room. I was told to move my things to that bed. Problem. The cleaning staff made all of the other beds but the bed with my things under it. I noticed that junk had been left by previous tennants (beer bottles, uneaten food, and clothes). I moved the junk to the door. I waited for the room cleaner to return to ask that she leave clean sheets for me. I made my bed and thought that would be the end.

This evening, after returning from the "battery run", I return to the room to discover that another person things...I wrote this part. Anyway, in a room with 8 beds, I felt it was strange for the only 2 people to be sharing a bunk bed. I thought I could just ask the desk clerk for one of the other empty beds. The clerk informs me that the beds had all been reserved. I told him that the beds were available (I thought I knew because I was the one who cleaned the room of the junk). Anyway, the clerk assigned me another room. I was annoyed that I would have to move.

Anyway, I went (so I thought) from a room with one other person to a room with 4 other people one floor up. And...another top bunk to boot! The bathroom ...there is a short story with the bathroom, but my time is about the expire. Anyway, if things could not go from bad to worst, I woke up (in another room without heat). In the previous room, one of the other people liked the room cool. This time, I don't think anyone bothered with the heat.

Anyway, I woke up about 1:30 headache, running nose etc... Since I was in a room full of people, who I did not want to disturb, I left the room. Since I have a 5 hour bus ride coming up in a few hours, I decided to go to the 24 hour convenient store to buy some cough medicine. And now, here I am killing time, waiting for the sun to come up so I can get out of here.

Once again, I did not quit while I was ahead.

About the other room. Since I still had the card key, I went to check. Yes, not the smartest thing to do. I was so sure that I was correct and the desk clerk was wrong. I also thought that the room would have heat. And...to no surprise, I was incorrect. There were now people in the room.