Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Whatever happened to peace and quiet?

Just a quick addition to the prewritten entry that I am about the post. On the train ride here would you believe that a group of musicans (???) got on the train and started playing the drums. Then one of them walked the traincar looking for tips. Then, no sooner do they leave, a guy starts talking out loud to either himself or the entire traincar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 21, 2006

Hello Pen pal. Just a brief recount of yesterday’s President’s Day holiday. My plan was to study for the teacher’s exam (coming this Saturday), then leave my shoebox to maybe do a little shopping (trying to make my shoebox look less like a shoebox.

The bickering couple were at it in force all morning, they continued arguing off and on. Finally, around 12 midday, I heard what I believed to be the finale; “But you broke up with me”. That statement was followed by sobs and packing. About 30 minutes later, “No, I ain’t cooking you dinner”. And…the sounds and smell of hamburgers being cooked. After listening to arguing all morning, I was in no mood to do anything. When I heard the front door closed, suddenly I felt a little better. Until…

My other neighbor (on my floor) begin blasting his stereo as loud as it could possible go. Apparently (he confided in me), he relaxes by listening to his music loud. I sort of accepted this fact, but what annoyed more was that a few minutes later…he fell asleep with the music blasting. So he was not even listening to the music. Later, he felt comfortable asking to borrow my cell phone. Told me that he ask a girl to call him back giving her my phone number. Later, after requesting my phone 4 or 5 more times, I receive a phone call from a young lady asking to speak to my neighbor. I take the phone to him telling him it is the young lady that he called earlier (worrying that she would not return his call). After he finished on the…on my phone, he tells me that the young lady was another one (not the one he was talking to me about). He then asks to use my phone again. Later he tells me that this girl is going to call him back on my phone, after she asks her mother’s permission about something (he is 44, she is 24). When I return to find out if the phone conversation finishes, he tells me that she is going to call him back again. He puts the phone in his pocket, and asks if the phone rings loudly. I wait to see how long he keeps my phone. After about an hour (of getting increasingly annoyed), I finally go to his room to find out what happened. It turned out, she did not return his call, but I now had 8 minutes left on my pre-paid phone.