Saturday, June 14, 2008


Friday, June 13th
God was definitely watching out for me today. I woke up tired and in a bit of a bad mood. Today was a trip day, but since only 6 kids out of 18 paid, I was not even going to try finding places for 12 (mostly hyper)kids when half the building was also going on the trip. The trip was to see the movie Kung Fu Panda.

This morning I got up about 6:25am (usually enough time to make my regular train). However, I was moving too slow and before I knew it, it was time to leave. I didn't feel like running out the door, so I decided to catch the later train, knowing that would involve taking a taxi.

I arrived at school with about 5 minutes to spare. During attendance, I noticed that many of my kids were absent, that was when I thought that I might be able to go. Now, I only had to place 6 kids instead of 12. I managed to place the 6 kids. So I was happy. I only had 6 kids to worry about. Unfortunately, I got caught by the second grade teacher across the hall (not ATH), who found out that I only had 6 kids compared to her 14 kids (several that I recognize [clearly] should not have been going), so she asked if I could join her.

The second grade teacher is nice, but a bit too laid back for me. However, it turned out okay. I suggested that we stop off in a nearby park because we were very early. However, it turned out that the movie theater was packed, which was the reason why we were told to get our tickets in advance. But since I thought that I was not going, I didn't have my tickets. The lobby was packed, and here was where it was lucky that I had been with the second grade teacher who is a bit on the aggressive side(lax classroom management, but aggressive nonetheless). While all of the early arrivers (who also did not get their tickets in advance) were waiting in the lobby, SGT (second grade teacher) jumped the line asked the clerk if she had to wait on the line (even thought the lobby was packed with other classes already), and she was told to pay upstairs. Being the rule follower, I would have waited patiently on the lobby line.

Once our tickets were paid for, we then had to find our seats. It turned out that all of the other classes from our school had already left including Ms. Down the Hall. Even Ms. Across the Hall was already in the theater. Even though I told them that I was able to go, I was left behind. I felt a bit like the party nerd that no one really wanted to go. Anyway, due to the concession line, my small group missed about 3 or 4 minutes of the movie (not including the coming attractions (or is it trailers). So, how was the movie?

I enjoyed the movie. I thought the movie was funny, cute, and very entertaining. The computer animation was very nice. I think I would have enjoyed the movie more if I had not been in a room full of kids (in teacher mode). So, any negatives? My small group was nicely behaved. Unfortunately, I think several teachers should have left more kids at school.

Oh, there was an annoying lady about three rows down. She was a young mother with one or two young kids, and a baby...and a baby stroller. I told Ms. SGT that we should get our seats first before waiting on the snack line. The aisle lady had the stroller on the steps blocking the way. I had to ask her (I did it politely) to move the stroller. Me standing on the steps with a group of kids behind me did not seem to be a big enough incentive for her to move the stroller. She moves the stroller...then puts it back after my group walks past. Once my group has their seats, we were ready to go to the concession stand. The stroller was back blocking the aisle. I physically move the stroller into the row behind the aisle lady (the movie theater was not packed -- most of the mob(in the lobby) was probably in the lobby to see the Hulk). Out of the theater, I realized that I left the tickets on my clipboard. Not wanting to be refused reentrance, I went back for the ticket subs. The stroller was back on the steps. Common sense and decency seems to be fading concepts.

After the movie, I suggested to Ms. SGT that we return to the park so the kids could have lunch there. Neither one of us were eager to return to the school. It turned out to be a nice, very nice trip. The park idea gave us more time out of the building. While in the park, I called Ms. Down the Hall (we exchanged phone numbers in Maryland) to find where she had lunch. She and other teachers told their kids to bring (and eat their lunch in the theater), so once the movie was over, she returned to school. I told my kids under no condition were they to eat their lunch in the theater. See, rule follower. Unfortunately, I called just as she was walking into the school. She wanted to know why I did not call sooner. Unfortunately, I'm a bit slow. I should have mentioned that she and the other teachers left me in the building when they left for the movie this morning, but I didn't think about it at the time.

Ms. SGT and I would have stayed about 15 minutes more, but a mother was in school looking for her son (one of my students). Strange, the mother signed the permission slip saying that we would return at 2pm but she was looking for her son at 1:30pm. Anyway, we had to head back. We were back at school at 1:45PM.

I arrived in time to order a school lunch. Friday is pizza day. The movie goers in my class were tired, and the stay behinds were fairly quiet, so I was able to sit and eat my pizza. I let the kids finish their lunch. After, we went over last night's homework, and I previewed tonight's homework it was time to leave. Here, homework is mandatory each night trip day or not. Luckily, I made my copies the night before. And my homework sheet was completed this week. One of my few successes this school year is that I managed to provide a typed homework sheet for each week this school year. Reading, Writing, and Math are expected to be assigned each night (M~F). The other 3rd grade teachers did not have their homework sheets this week. For tonight's homework, they had their students write a movie review. Ms. ATH said she also gave a math worksheet as well. I'm going to miss having her right across the hall. Next school year, the kindergarten teacher who will be forced to move up to second grade will have her room. K2 seems like a nice (but cranky lady) in the hallways. I wonder how she is going to handle the 1st graders coming in. They're supposed to be a rough group (a lot of hypers in the bunch).

After the students were dismissed for Friday's early dismissal, I went to the computer teacher/tech guy to see if he would have the Smartboard ready for my Boy's Day presentation. Each male teacher has to do something for a Boy's Day presentation for the boys in the school. The computer teacher/tech guy said that he'd forgotten. He told me that if I arrive in school early on Monday (7:15AM or 7:30AM), he would do it then.

I tried to do my lesson plans in class, but after a bit of cleaning, and getting the literacy program materials ready for collecting, it was already about 6:30PM, so I tried to do a rough overview of what I wanted to teach. I made notes on post-its, and copy pages out of teacher's manuals, and workbooks. I should be able to fill-in my lesson plans and do my homework sheet over this weekend.

I left the building about 7:40PM, I arrived in the Bronx about 8:00PM. Since I had about a 30 minute wait for my MN train, I went to a nearby Subway restaurant. I ordered a 6in. pastrami sandwich. I was home about 8:50PM. Once my work clothes were off, my plan was to send a confirmation email to my epal(Macy's walker) about our walking activity tomorrow (Bronx Zoo), I also wanted to call my new epal (NJ) to say hello. However, I was out like a light within about 5 minutes of me "just laying down for a minute". I woke up about 12midnight.

Completion Date - Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:04AM
Post Date - Sunday, July 6, 2008 10:17AM

No comments: