Sunday, June 08, 2008


Sunday, June 8th (Weekend Summary)

Friday
Friday was an okay day. Since the computer/tech guy also knows how to play the piano, he is in charge of graduation rehearsals. The music teacher must be busy doing something else.

Since the computer/tech guy was doing graduation rehearsal, I had a prep period change. My prep period was changed to the same time as my computer lab. Since I just wanted a prep, I didn't complain. Since Friday is an early dismissal day, I didn't mind. Friday, there was also a special assembly for a "Salsa" show. At one point in the show, I was dragged up on stage to do a dance number. I hate drawing attention to myself, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Friday ended with me once again being able to do my lesson plans for next week.

Saturday
I had arrangements to meet NJ epal in midtown NYC. We were going to a comic convention at 34th street and 7th avenue. I had never been to one before. My Saturday plan was to run some errands before meeting my epal. I started off the day with a late wake up time and a bath. I was out the door about 12:30PM. I missed the MN train, but it did not matter because I gave myself an earlier personal meeting time. I took the bus to downtown Yonkers stop to take the express train to NYC. I stopped off at a check cashing place to pay my telephone bill. I was planning to also pay my bank and Target bill, but I realized that I should not push my luck with the trains. Having been late once, I did not want to repeat it again. I arrived at the meeting spot at 2:10PM -- 20 minutes early.

My epal arrived a couple of minutes late. The comic convention was at the Penn Station Pavilion (convention space in a hotel). The cost of the tickets were $15 each, I paid for the tickets through PayPal. Pictures? Since I think you had to pay (or get permission) to take photos, I did not take any photos. I didn't really recognize the "celebrities" there. The vendors were packed in like sardines. And the layout was like a maze. Without windows, and without any distinguishing objects, the place was just a giant maze. After walking around the celebrity section, we moved onto the comic/video/DVD section. There were several animation videos I was thinking about buying, but with bills due, I really needed to show some self control. I ended up buying a couple of graphic novels at $5 each (the regular price was about $15 each). I bought:

The Fantastic Four: The New Fantastic Four
Marvel Team-Up Freedom Ring

My epal bought an action figure. He collects those. We only stayed a little over an hour. Since my epal paid for lunch at the diner last time, I offered to pay this time. We went to the T.G.I.F. (Thank Good It's Friday) restaurant at 33rd street and 8th avenue. I ordered a grilled Salmon meal. My epal ordered a chicken salad with a side of french fries. The meal was okay. My salmon had a strange sweet sauce with nuts, and the broccoli florets were dry. After the meal, we walked downtown with the idea of getting some ice cream. Once we got to the ice cream place(14th street and 6th avenue), it turned out that each of us was only going because we thought the other person wanted ice cream. Once we realized that neither of us wanted ice cream, we decided to call it a day. Besides, my epal was going to a birthday party for his cousin, so he had to leave. I decided to walk back to 34th street to see the Iron Man movie. On the way back, I took a picture of the Empire State Building. I will attach the photo to this blog.

The movie showing was 7:20PM. The theater was a little more than half full. I thought the movie was nice (not great but nice). A lot of time was spent in character developement. The movie finished about 9:30PM. I was back home about 11:00PM. I stopped off at the local bodega to buy a pint of ice cream(mint chocolate chip) and Hostess apple-filled cake. It was a nice day.


Completion Date - Sunday, June 8, 2008 1:19PM
Post Date - Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:29PM

No comments: