Monday, June 16, 2008



Monday, June 16th Boy's Day Today turned out to be a very nice day. Once the morning confusion ended, it was an enjoyable day. Quick weekend wrap-up.

Since I'd spent all day at the Bronx Zoo, I didn't do any lesson planning or errands. Sunday was Father's Day. Since I did not have Saturday as my recovery/sleep day, I was tired Sunday morning. I just couldn't seem to do anything. I was planning to do. I finally, got out of bed, showered and wrapped my foster father's Father's Day gift by 4:30PM. I took the MN train into NYC. I arrived at my foster father's place about 5:15PM; his lady friend's adult kids were there wishing him Happy Father's Day. It was nice, then his daughter showed up.

She has worked in the day care center nearby for several years, often needing to walk past her father's building to get to work, and she rarely stopped by. Now, lately, she seems to be making a concerted effort to build bridges with her father. Once the argument started, I was getting a headache and left. I said that I needed to catch my train.

Before heading home, I decided to stop off at Barnes & Nobles to buy a juicing book. I bought a blender a couple of days ago. I thought it would be a waste of money for me to buy a juicing machine. I know I would hate cleaning the different parts after each time (especially the grater inside). I also have not had fresh vegetables in months, if not years. I'm hoping that with the blender, I can throw in a handful of this green vegetable, or that green vegetable to get the vitamins I need. Maybe if I have a glass of fresh vegetable juice each day, it will help me with my weight, my skin and my tired feeling. I went to the B&N on 14th street because they stayed opened late on Sundays. After perusing the diet and healthy cooking sections, I settled on:

The Big Book of Juices and Smoothies by Natalie Savona

I like the layout of this book. I also like the simple recipes (just 2 or 3 fruits and/or vegetables). After B&N, I rode the subway down to 42nd street where I could take the MN train. Since I was early for the 8:20PM train, I went to see if I could buy something to drink. I stop in one of the nation chained drug/convenience store. I was planning to buy a small orange juice. This was the first time I noticed that the 16oz Tropicana that I used to buy has been replaced with a 14oz, but the price is still the same...well at least uptown the price is the same (about $1.50), but in the midtown drug/convenient store, they wanted $2.19 for the 14oz. I put the orange juice back.

I arrived home about 9PM. I then had to start working on my PowerPoint Presentation. My school is doing a Boy's day event. Since they did a girl's empowerment day, some of the male teachers thought it was only fair to do a boy's event as well. Microsoft Office has made making a PowerPoint presentation super easy. The computer teacher/tech guy said that since he forgot to set up my Smartboard, he would do it if I came to school early between 7:15AM and 7:30AM. I was in bed by 2AM and up by 6AM, however, I managed to make the early train. And I arrived at school at 7:15AM.

And...

The tech guy was not there. At the last minute, I had to scramble around to find a way to show my PP presentation. Luckily Ms. Down the Hall lent me her older model where the projector is separate from the screen. It still didn't work. I called the tech guy(he arrived late), and he agreed to come. He came just as Ms. DTH got the screen on. Tech guy immediately said that everything was alright. I'd wanted him to stay until my PP came on, but he insisted that everything was okay and "everything would work". As soon as he left, the message flashed that my PP was using a newer version and it could not play. Tech guy was now too busy to return, but suggested that I send my flash drive to him and he would work on it. I copied my PP onto Ms. DTH's laptop (thinking I wouldn't see my flash drive anytime soon). About 30 minutes later, the student I sent my flash drive with returned. He said that Tech Guy put the flash drive down and told him to wait. After 30 minutes, the kid got tired of waiting. He returned empty-handed. My presentation consisted of the kids who decided to come to my Boy's Day presentation gathering around my laptop as I did my presentation. My presentation was on Boy's Day in Japan. I ended with teaching the boys how to make a origami samurai hat. After the two presentations, there was a raffle contest in the auditorium. I volunteered to read the numbers. I wanted to be useful, or the teachers who had my girls might try sending them back. Presenters had to split up their girls into available classes. Ms. Across the Hall was absent today. Did I mention that she was assigned to team-teach the mixed population class (a mixture of special ed and mainstream students). She would also have to move back upstairs to the third floor, and share a classroom. She was not happy. Since she did not reply to my email, I think she just took a mental health day.

Let me wrap this up, I've been blogging long enough. The day was nice. I was out of the building about 4:30PM. I made my homework copies for the whole week. I went to the grocery store to buy some fresh fruits and vegetables. I haven't bought fresh vegetables in months. I'm just about finished this blog. After I save it into my draft folder, I am going to try making one of the juices in my juicing book. I didn't buy the book for exact recipes, I just wanted to have a ballpark idea of what to do. If it taste nasty, then I will just pretend it's medicine. First up, kale juice. Well, time to go play with my blender.

Completion Date - Monday, June 16, 2008 8:46PM
Post Date - Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:52AM

No comments: