Saturday, May 23, 2009

Next on my reading list

I finished reading Star Trek - Titan. I liked it. I enjoyed the feeling of continuity. It's was nice having the feeling of the characters growing and developing past the series. I started reading the next book in the series "Red King", but this morning I remembered the H.G. Wells book I brought from Barnes & Nobles a few weeks ago. Before jumping into the continuation of Riker's maiden voyage as captain, I should try again at reading a classic. Remember, I tried to read Kafka, but I just couldn't go beyond Metamorphosis. If I can't get through the H.G. Wells book (The Time Machine and The Invisible Man), then I will fall back to Star Trek - Titan "Red King".

At work, I had my formal observation. Here in NYC, teachers have to be formally observed for at least one lesson at least once a school year. The lesson seemed to go okay minus the couple of students who decided to be a bit difficult. Luckily their "performance" was only brief.

Anything else. Well, I did find something interesting. I have yet to join a gym, but I have cut back on eating school lunches. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was losing weight without doing much of anything. Currently, I am about 216.2lbs. A few weeks ago, I was 228lbs. I'm going to see if I can lose another 5lbs by next Friday. I will try to join the boxing gym for the month of June.


Post Date - Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:55PM

3 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Kafka -- ugh!
I'm not much of a sci-fi girl, but I will tell you that Wells' The Invisible Man is a better read than The Time Machine, as the latter kind of drags. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau zips right along, however, so you might try that one.
My favorite sci-fi author is Connie Willis. I LOVE The Doomsday Book and its sequel, To Say Nothing Of The Dog. May I suggest that you find a book of her short stories at the local library and see how you like them?
Happy reading. :)

Jannx said...

Hello Paperback,

Thanks for the reading suggestion. The Island of Dr. Moreau wasn't on my reading list, but I think I'll add it. I'll have to Goggle Connie Willis and the stories you suggested, I'm not familiar with her. Thanks again for the assistance with expanding my limited literary repetoire.

A Paperback Writer said...

No prob.
I am an English teacher; it's my job to get people reading.