Sunday, May 31, 2009

Nothing New

Nothing new. Another weekend spent in my pajamas in front of my computer. With a lot of sitting time in front of my computer, I should have no problems on a long bus ride.

On Friday, I stayed late to finish what will be the last bulletin board display of the school year. My students made their individual poetry books. I haven't decided if I will post a photo of the display. Now that June has arrived (minus a few hours), my mind needs to shift to packing for the summer. For the last three years (or so), I've ended up needing to come the two extra days after the official end of school to finish packing up. This year I told myself that I will start June 1st. Here in NYC, schools end Friday, June 26th. My tentative schedule for packing is as follows:

Week #1 - Tackling the mounds of papers and my teacher's area
Week #2 - Tackling the closets and cabinets / record-keeping
Week #3 - Cleaning & wrapping the computers / boxing my supplies
Week #4 - Stripping the walls and miscelleanous

well, I think that is about it. Having spent the weekend here in front of my computer, I now have to get up and do some last minute errands.


Post Date - Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:26PM

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Do you have to strip your walls down at the end of the year, or do you just do it as a "cleansing exercise"?

Jannx said...

Teachers are suppose to strip the walls of any and all decorations, but many teachers don't(an uninforced requirement). For me, it is also as you said, it is a "cleansing exercise". I like to pack as if I'm not coming back:

Reason #1 - it is easier to leave if another job offer occurs during the summer month. I really would hate to have to "return" in September to start packing.
Reason

#2 - It forces me to really take stock of my materials (knowing what I have and where). Many of my colleagues tend to be horders and/or crammers (to the point they [often] can't find what they need or know the location of something they're sure they have).

Reason #3 - I really like the feeling of starting with a cleaned slate in September. Old paper (or posters) are like ghost on the walls of a time I mostly would like to forget.