Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Santa was very good this year, but...

Santa was very good this year, but I'll be paying for it next year.  Today, I should have been cleaning up my apartment, but once again I went out for a walk after I finally dragged myself out of bed. 

I went to buy myself a recliner.  For the longest time, I've logged more hours in a very uncomfortable computer chair.  I also have a futon, which I've been  treating as a couch, but it really isn't.  Besides, my futon is usually covered with books and papers.  In other words, I don't own a comfortable chair.  Other than my bed (which is a bit cheap anyway), I don't really own a piece of solid furniture.  Nearly everything I own is cheap and disposable.  I was raised on shopping at discount stores.  I think I paid about $700 for my complete bedroom set (2 dressers, headboard, 2 night tables).  It's cheap(by NYC standards), but since I'm very easy on my things, they usually hold up surprisingly well.  Well, not my clothes, I tend to wear clothes until they disintegrate).

Anyway, I finally decided to treat myself to a recliner.  I brought a rocker recliner at a local discount furniture store.  The total cost (including taxes, and delivery fee) for the recliner was $346.63.  See the attached photo.  I couldn't find the exact style online, but the photo is pretty close.  I ordered charcoal/black.  It should arrive in 7 ~ 10 days.  I'd wanted to go to the discount furniture place -- I wouldn't even call it a store.  It was more of a store front.  They have a few pieces of furniture, but mostly, you order from catalogs they have from a couple of companies.  They call the warehouse and ship it to you.  Since I was please with my bedroom set, I wanted to buy a recliner from them as well.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any recliners.  The salesperson told me that she didn't know when they would have anymore in stock.  So, I went down the block to another discount furniture store that recently relocated there, and would you believe, there was a recliner sitting right at the front door. 

Oh, and I also bought an imitation ipad.  At first I wanted a Kindle, but then the ipad came out.  I thought (to myself) why limit myself to just an e-reader.  Then, I had my heart set on getting an ipad, but my finances made that a long-shot.  I had to settle on an imitation ipad.  It has a capacitive response system.  I had no idea what that meant until I did a Google search and I found my answer on Wikipedia  -- Yes, I know, Wikipedia isn't a reliable source for research, but I can't help it.  Anyway, Capacitive means that you have to use a stylus pen, object, or your finger nail.  The ipad uses a touch screen technology (meaning you can manipulate with the touch of your finger).  I'm getting sidetracked. 

Back to my Apad.  The online reviews were pretty 50/50 with the positive and negative comments.  I brought the imitation with the idea that a nice guy won't get screwed with  a piece of junk.  Well, if you've read this blog for any period of time, you know that's not necessarily true.  We'll see.

Oh, while I'm at it, I might as well complete my Christmas list.  I also bought a laptop tray, a pair of Dockers, DVDs (300, Meet the Spartans, and Superman/Batman: Apocalyse) and accessories for my Apad.

5 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, I hear you on wanting a good recliner. I haven't got a single chair in the house that doesn't hurt my back. My trouble is that if I were to buy a recliner or comfy armchair, I'd have to buy all new livingroom furniture because all my current stuff is vintage and as old as I am. Nothing made today would look good with my vintage couch, armchair, and side chairs. I'd have to start fresh, and I'm not sure I want that much of an expense.
I'm glad you treated yourself to a comfy chair, though. :)

Jannx said...

Hello Paperback. First of all, I do know what you mean about wanting things to match.

As for buying a comfy chair, I wouldn't dismiss the idea too quickly, especially for someone with back problems. Here's a suggestion:

Pick a place in your house -- it is easier when you have a house instead of an apartment. You just need a corner. Make it a pet project. Take a photo of that corner. Call it your comfy corner/health corner. The objective is to put a comfy chair in that corner. Decorate the corner only to complement the comfy chair. Remind yourself that this corner is for your health, your back, your sanity, whatever. Even if you need to post a sign on the wall in that corner identifying the corner and its reasons for not matching the rest of the house furniture. There are websites like NexTag.com that have over a thousand different styles of recliners. Cut and paste various chairs into your "Comfy Corner" photo. Make it a pet project.

God forbid you would need a hospital bed at home, or modifications for an elderly family member. Would you only make the changes if you could afford to redesign the whole house. Believe me, I can be that anal, but you don't strike me as being that extreme.

I've been telling myself for years that I wanted a comfortable chair...years. My main reason for not getting one...A fluffy chair wouldn't match the symmetry/style!?! of my apartment. Strange as it sounds, for an apartment that can get EXTREMELY junky, I don't like clutter. But as I get older, it bothers me not having a comfortable chair to sit in when I come home. Now that I have one on the way... I am sooo psyched!!! Not a SINGLE sheet of school work, paperwork, or "temporary" resting place will be allowed on my rocker. As for the exercise bike/clothes rack which will have to be moved, I'm not exactly sure where it will go, but it will go when my rocker/recliner arrives.

Good Luck to you Paperback. I hope you will eventually treat yourself to a comfy corner.

A Paperback Writer said...

Eventually, I'm likely to have my older nephew take all my living room furniture to his place in Denver. He loves the retro style of my stuff (which my parents bought right before I was born). This would help him, keep the stuff out of a landfill, and force me to buy comfy stuff. In the meantime, I migrate to different chairs to read.

Jeff said...

Man, I've been meaning to get a comfy chair myself! I have one that's okay, but I need a full-on La-Z-Boy! Hope it works well for you!

Jannx said...

Paperback - Well, if the migration works for you, then it isn't for me to try and change your mind.

Jeff - Thanks Jeff.