Monday, May 21, 2007

Being screwed over. Today was swim day. I decided that I would leave any and all trouble-makers behind. The end result was that the day was okay. Several of the kids still could not leave the ghetto at home.

At the end of the school day I really decided to push myself to get out of the building to be home to do exercises. Anyway, I managed to punch out at 4:08, when the assistant principal came to me just when I was about to leave the office. She starts speaking to me in hushed tones. That alone started to get me nervous. After asking if I was returning next (school) year. My preference sheet must have gotten lost.

Anyway, after asking about me returning next year, she then asks if I was planning to return to being a substitute teacher?!?!? First of all, my preference sheet listed grades 3, 2, and 1 (in that order). She then proceeds to explain (making no eye contact) how things are going to be different next year. She also wanted me to know that she understood the difficulty I had at the beginning of the year and I would probably be looking forward to getting out of the classroom.

I said "no", there was no rush for me to get out of the class (I felt the snow job coming on big and strong).

Long story short the AP went on telling me how aministration has started planning, but no decisions have been made.

What annoyed me was the approach. I thought I would be teaching the same grade (3rd grade) next year. I did not like the conspiratorial tones that she used. So what's wrong with teaching out of a classroom. Nothing really. However, for some of us, we enjoy having our own space. I remember the disorganization I had to endour during my time as a sub. Things happen at the last minute. scheduling is poorly planned. Last year, I had a pre-k class then the very next period I had a 6th grade class. No travel time between classes. I had no space of my own. I was hunched over a table in the teacher's lounge.

That "conversation" put me in a bad mood. I was going to write a letter to the AP, but I am dozing on and off as I type this, so I had better no t

No comments: