Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Test Scores are in. I really don't have much to write about. I have nothing to crow about. I will have to keep this short. I am already starting to yawn as I type this. I just got finished making up 4 cover pages for the Math section of my students portfolios. Each student is required to have a portfolio which is supposed to show...something. I have not exactly figured that out yet. Originally, I was told that the portfolio should reflect the students best work for the term. Then, I was told that the portfolio should have anything and everything the students do throughout the year.

I'm yawning, I better wrap this up quickly.

Yesterday, the teacher's at my school received the results for the New York State ELA (English Language Arts) test. How did my students do? I'm not sure. I've been on a bit of an emotional roller coaster these last two days.

The Grading Standards
4 = Student exceeds grade level
3 = Student is on grade level
2 = Student is approaching grade level
1 = Student is far below grade level

My students? No 4s. 9 students at level 3. 12 students at level 2. And one student at level 1. Nothing to cheer about. 3 and 4 are good grades. How did my students fair with the other 3rd grade classes in school? I was in the middle. One 3rd grade teacher with 18 years experience had 18 students receive level 3, no level 4. And 2 or 3 level 1s. The other 3rd grade teacher (with about 8 years of experience) had lower scores. In fairness to this teacher, her class was originally planned to be a two teacher mixed special ed and mainstream classroom. Somewhere along the line, she ended up teaching solo, with the ocassional help of a para.

I was a bit depressed at my students scores...when taken at face value. However, several teachers have told me that although 2s are not good, the students will most likely be passed earning a 2 on their tests, 1s are the scores to avoid. 1s mean automatic summer school. I was told by other teachers that I should be feeling good about my classes' test scores considering the student population and the "bagage" they bring into the classroom.

As I look back over this school year, there are a lot of things I would have done differently, it is too late to go into details now.

Yesterday, for one reason or another I fell back into old routines. I fell asleep on the couch, then woke up about 3 to do lesson plans, then back to bed about 4am.

Today, I used the test scores to try to focus the students to keep this less hyper. Oh, the "Spainish teacher" took his reading group to the library to watch "Spiderman 3 on DVD".I could type more, but it is getting late...

Until next time,

Oh, before I forget. Before I call it a night, I am going to try to do a homework sheet for next week. Next Monday is a half a day for student (Clerical Afternoon for the teachers). Also, next Thursday, is a full Clerical day for teachers. No students on Thursday!!! Oh, happy, happy, joy, joy. I want to try to get the homework sheet done. Monday will be a half day, and putting in a permission for copies request, will probably not get done if I wait until Monday, June 4th (half day), to make a request for copies.

Post Date - Tuesday, May 30, 2007 11:44pm

No comments: