Saturday, May 05, 2007

Last week was basically more of the same. I tried rowing and succeeding for a few days. But by Wednesday or Thursday I stopped again. I will try again on Monday to get back on the wagon again.

Today (Saturday), I spent most of the day in bed. I am fighting a head cold. After chatting online until about 4am, I went to bed. I woke up today about 10am. I ate breakfast (cold and hot cereal and hot green tea). I chatted for a while, then I went back to bed. I woke up again about 3pm. I had about 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and milk. Now, I am posting a couple of blog entries. The Sunday blog entry was done from notes that I’d left by my computer, but never got around to posting. The cut and paste below was supposed to have been posted on Thursday, but I was too tired, and I did not want to post it half asleep. Names had to be changed, and personal information had to be deleted.

Below is the cut and paste of a series of e-mail exchanges I had last week with a parent. Yes, the “Chip”. Check previous blog entries for the comment about “Chip”.



Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2007 4:40 PM
Subject: More about “Chip”.

I hope your workweek has been going well. I am sorry to be sending you another one of "those" e-mails. “Chip” seems to be having a little too much fun in class. I was about to spend another long time listing the specifics, but I am too tired now. Basically, he has been throwing objects, cursing -- I am sure the Spanish "P" word “Chip” used means the same in English as it does in Spanish. I could write more, but I am tired. I just thought you wanted to know.
I am sorry for keeping this e-mail so short, but I want to leave school, but I don't want to think about class later this evening.
Of course, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Regards,
J

-----------------
Subject: Re: More about “Chip”.
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:18:16 -0500

tHANK YOU FOR LETTING ME KNOW. i THINK i HAVE DONE EVERYTHING I COULD POSSIBLY DO AT MY END. i SPOKE TO HIM THIS MORNING. iS CHIP THE ONLY ONE MISHAVING, AM I THE ONLY PARENT WHO RESPONDS . aLSO WHAT DO YOU WHEN chip misbehaves????

---------------------
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2007 4:48 pm
Subject: Re: More about “Chill”.

Hello Mrs. Chip,
I hope your day is going well. Interesting use of caps. I'll just assume that your computer was accidently left on Caps Lock. I was told that when e-mails have all caps, that means the person was shouting. It appears that these complaint e-mails are a bit frustrating. Yes, that is why I try to avoid them as much as possible.

iS CHIP THE ONLY ONE MISHAVING,...Having visited a couple of times, I am sure you know the answer to that question. No, Chip is not the only one. Just remember the behavior and attitudes you witnessed on the couple of fieldtrips that you attended, multiple that by 6 or 7 hours, then multiple by 23 individuals, and then multiple that by 5 days per week.

AM I THE ONLY PARENT WHO RESPONDS. No, you are not the only one who responses. However, you are the only one who responses consistantly. Also, you seem to have a connection that other parents don't. After an e-mail from me, usually I get the impression that you've spoken to Chip. Other parents, I've called on the phone and the very next day the child's behavior has not changed at all. Now, you might be able to see why I've been saying thank you so much at the beginning of the year. Every bit helps.

Even one parent who speaks to their child makes a difference. Most misbehavior is an enticement that spreads quickly and easily. One child who remembers why his (or her) parent sent him (or her) to school, is a force of good. The negative also applies. One child who thinks (or acts) as if they are here to play draws followers like nectar draws bees.

I seem to remember you saying how difficult my job was in terms of dealing with other people's children (each one with a different set of values). What can be said for kids that have cell phones, ipods, personal TVs etc...

aLSO WHAT DO YOU WHEN chip misbehaves???? The detailed e-mail I think summarizes the answer to this question. That e-mail was not by any means unique (including before and after your visit here).
Well, I had a long tiring day. The students were not as badly-behaved as they were yesterday. I hope I've addressed all of your questions (or concerns). If I missed anything, please don't hesitate to ask.
Regards,
J

------------------

Subject: Re: More about Chip.
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:13:46 +0000 (GMT)

To answer your question I was not yelling, the caps were accidentally there and I was angry with Chip this morning and I did not bother to even change the caps. Yes I remember when I said your job was hard, as it is for me as a parent. I guess I asked those questions because I have tried very hard to keep Chip in check if you will and I don't know if its working and I am bit frustrated. That does not mean that I will not take action when you send me something about Chip's behavior but I also questioned whether other parents were as involved as I am.

----------------------

Hello Mrs. Chip,
I understand about the caps lock. Don't worry about it. Yes, I can see that parenting is a difficult job on so many levels.
I also understand the curiousity about other parents. I also have similar curiousity with how other teachers deal with the stress of the job. I can't tell you how many times I've beaten my head against the wall wondering if "it is only me..".
As for other parent responses. None of them comes close to the quick and timely responses that you've given me over the months. And I've appreciated each response. Thank you.
Again, if you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy your evening.
Regards,
J

--------------------

Subject: Re: More about Chip.
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:54:49 +0000 (GMT)

By the way is it tre that you did not give the class homework yesterday.

--------------------

Date: Thursday, May 3, 2007 9:42 pm
Subject: Homework

Hello again.

Did I have homework to give? Yes.
Did I give homework yesterday? No.
Yesterday, I was notified that I would have a grade level meeting at 1:20 during my usual preparation time. The preparation time was 1:20. If I had know about the meeting...Oh, actually, nothing would have changed. I'll explain.
I bought a personal copy machine as soon as I was hired on my credit card. The machine was about $300. My plan was to originally have the copy machine for emergency copying, or for quick copying. Unfortunately, I quickly became addicted to the convenience of having easy access to a copy machine without the hoops teachers were sometimes asked to jump through.

So, how much has it cost me having a copy machine?

Well, the ink cartridges are about $100 each; I've bought about 4 or 5. Last month, I also had to replace the Drum which cost me about $200. In total, I've spent about $700 making copies. Not including the 3 cases of paper that I've bought.

This past Monday, I decided to get a handle on my copying. Over the weekend I did my homework sheet (as usual), and on Monday, I printed "originals" of everything for the whole week. I completed a copy request form (attaching "originals" to be copied), and I submitted for administrator's approval the copy request form (and the "originals") for the whole week. I did make Monday's copies (on my personal copier). Oh, I forgot to add that I hand delivered the copy request information to my supervisor. That was Monday. It is now Thursday, and still the copies have not been made. Some where along the "chain of command" there was a broken link. Long story short. I thought I did everything that needed to be done. And being as stressed as I've been, I wasn't in a mood to go hunting for the broken link.I do apologize for the confusion.

No comments: