Saturday, May 19, 2007

Disorganized. I have a few minutes before calling it a night. I has been about a week without a posting here. Sorry, bad habits are getting harder to break.

Yesterday was one of the roughest days I've had in a very, very long time. My kids were just hyper throughout the day. It has been a while since I've had a day, where adolescent anger and attitude was just running rampant. Strange part, Thursday, was one of the nicest days I've had in a long time.

Thursday started with my believing that it would have been the worst day, but in the end, Thursday was so nice, I ended the day smiling. The school wanted to give an award to the students that wore the school uniform consistently, so those students were given free tickets to the Mets baseball game. So, about 8 of my "good" kids were sent to Shea Stadium, I was left with the rest, plus I was given 2 students from a fifth grade class that was broken up to allow the 5th grade teacher to chaperon the event.

It is getting late, and my memory is starting to fade, so I better stick to the main focus of my post. Examples of disorganization.

Last Monday, my class finally went swimming. At my school, the 2nd and 3rd grade classes are able to have 10 free lessons from the local community center. The day did not start off very well. About 8:20 the assistant principal called to tell me to come to the main office as soon as one of the school aids arrived. It turns out one of private test-prep coordinators came (at the request of my school) to do training for the teachers. When the trainer arrived in my classroom. The assistant principal called me to let me know that she was available to help me place the students who would not be going swimming. She asked for a list of names, and said that she would take care of everything. I reminded her that with the trainer in my room for the next two hours, I would not able. Two hours later, lunchtime, the assistant principal tells me right before my lunch that I need to place the students in classes. I also needed to provide work for those students (which I already had, but she did not know that). So my lunch period was spent running around from room to room placing students. Now, in all fairnest, the AP did call the teachers telling them that they would be receiving two of my kids. Now, I might be overreacting, but being told that you are going to have not one but two students who are not going with the class (usually that means the kids are behavior problems) is not the best way to make friends with colleagues.

After I finished with the running around with 2 minutes to spare. The Literacy coach called me to tell me to pick up my grids for the E-CLAS. What's wrong? All year, the coach would keep saying that she would be responsible for the grids, and then out of the blue, "pick up your grids".

We walked to the community center, and...

The attendant there...after keeping us waiting for about 5 minutes apologized for accidentally giving our spot away to another class. According to the young lady, the other class was also there for the first time, so she just assumed that that was the correct class for that time.The positive, my class waited in the computer lab.

Tuesday, after another no copies made event, I used my personal copier to print homework for my students. At the same time, I had to write my students name on publicity release forms . A child-abuse awareness performance group would be coming on Thursday -- according to the notice NBC would be filming the performance. This is all happening ten minutes before three. An annoucement on the loudspeaker said that all teachers needed to bring down a list of names of students going on the Mets...now.

There are actually a couple of other examples, but I forgot that I mantioned that hte focuse of this blog would not be school life, but my own boring life.

It is late now, so I better end this blog entry.

Post Date - Saturday, May19, 2007 11:59pm.

No comments: