Saturday, March 08, 2008

Friday, March 7th.
Two teachers were absent, so their classes were broken up. I received two students from 4th grade and one from 5th. Later, a sub arrived for the 4th grade teacher's class. I would have rather had the two fourth graders than the 5th grader I got stuck with. I knew the kid was going to be a handful when AP1 made the call. Anytime the AP makes a phone call, then there is usually more to it than was is mentioned. The kid started off nice, but later in the day, the temper tantrums started. When he didn't get his way, or what he wanted, he'd pout and walk off or out of the room.

Luckily for me, Friday is my (relatively) easy day. I have a Computer Prep and a Computer Lab period, and Friday is an early dismissal day.

During the literacy period, the literacy coach came in to ask if I was interested in observing another teacher doing the Literacy program during Monday's literacy block. I (of course) said yes. It is a bit strange that I've been offered a pass one time to view a video about the program, and now another pass to watch another teacher doing the program. What's strange? Ms. Across the Hall (who received a letter stating that she showed very little evidence she was doing the program and showed very little understanding of the program) has not received any extra support. Oh, and I've been offered (by the principal) to attend a 3 day seminar about this program that will occur out of state, on the 3 days right before the Spring Break. Things here tend to be top military secrets on a strictly need to know basis...They will tell me when they think I need to know.

The day ended nicely. The Tech/Computer teacher let my class stay in the computer lab for an extra period. I spent the time grading the homework. By the time, we returned to class, it was time to pack up and go. Nice!!!

Since I managed to leave school at 5PM yesterday, I wanted to try a repeat performance, but you know me, one thing tends to lead to another. After chatting with Ms. Across the Hall, and box repairs, it was past 5PM. Box Repairs? When my materials had to be moved to a different room, I saved my boxes. I've observed teachers year after year, scrounge around for boxes at the end of the year, then proceed to throw away the boxes when the new school year starts. I decided to save most of the boxes. I tucked the boxes in a couple of corners, and everything was okay until I noticed that the boxes were "creeping" out of one of the corners. I had to move the desk and supplies around the boxes. I taped the boxes together, and tucked them back neatly. I should have taped them the first time. The boxes over time were bending at their folds (hence the "creeping"). After taping the flattened boxed together, I cover them with a piece of large bulletin board green paper. It looks nice now.

I also spent the afternoon looking for (and bringing) more books for the literacy coach to label. We use a computer-based literacy program were the students can take comprehension test on the books they read. Teachers are responsible for labeling the books in their class library, so students know what the level of the book is as well as the point value of the book.

In the end, I left the school at 8PM. For dinner, I had a Weight Watcher's meal, but I ruined any benefits of the meal by eating an iced bun right after.


Post Date - Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:52PM

2 comments:

Max Sartin said...

Well, I'd say that you get the offers of help because your principal knows that you will make good use of the information, whereas Ms. Across the Hall would just waste the opportunity. Principals I've worked with know their staff well enough to know where the money for these oppotunities will do the most good. So I say congratulations, seems your principal has a lot of respect for your teaching.

Jannx said...

Hello Max. Sorry with the delay in replying. I've been a bit out of it for the last few days. I have not been in the mood to do any blogging.

Thanks for the congratulations. What you wrote makes a lot of sense. Thanks!