Wednesday, March 05, 2008

March 5th
A tiring day. After going to bed at 5AM only to get up at 6:20AM, I was tired this morning. I did not even try to make my regular "on time" train. By taking the later train, I knew that I would be paying for a taxi. I managed to arrive on time (even with the MN train moving a bit slower than usual).

Cackler arrived with her (almost) usual spiteful attitude. Princess and Sneak were also in their play/disruptive modes as well.

The Day 2 test was (in my opinion) an easy test.

During test collection, someone from the right side of the classroom threw a pencil eraser at me. The three prime suspects were Giggles, Sneak, and Daze. Each one said "it wasn't me". Each refuse to change their story until I threatened to punish all three, then (reluctantly) Daze and Giggles admitted it was Sneak (others were already telling me that it was Sneak. In the inner-city, there is this "thing" about snitching, each one was willing to admit that it "wasn't them", but were unwilling to give up the culprit. Since it was only a pencil eraser, I wasn't really bothered. However, I am slowly starting to realize how the game is played (I'm a bit slow). In the past, I would have just said something like, "don't do that" and continued collecting the tests. Today, I made a big production about how angry I was, and how Sneak had to leave because I was disgusted. Later I told AP1, at first she said "oh, that is an automatic suspension...write it up". However, I was more interested in sending a quick message rather than jumping through almost a pointless endeavor. Remember last school terms "incident" with the boy who threw a major temper tantrum during lunchtime. The punishment was a suspension that was forgotten. Remember the recent "writing curse words on the wall incident" that was going to be an automatic in-house suspension -- after parents were called and asked permission --and after each of the parents gave permission for the in-house suspension. The suspension was forgotten by admin. I think the message of the teacher going on a tirade and removing the student quickly will...probably have a greater impact than any bureaucratic threat sometime down the line. I photocopied a "detention pack" I'd made from last school year and sent Sneak to another class for to rest of the day. That sort of put the others in a (relatively speaking) better behavior.

During lunch, AP2 called me to inform me that I should have a lesson plan for a sub that would be in my room tomorrow while I (and the other upper grade teachers were doing end term curriculum planning. With a messy desk, and two wasted phone calls to the parents of Sneak and Princess (she was very disruptive shouting, playing, hitting others, rolling on the floor laughing in the hallway, spraying her new asthma pump like it was perfume, but mom only focused on how she (Princess) really should not have been playing with her asthma pump), I ended up leaving school about 8PM, with the idea that I would be returning home, and planning a lesson plan for a sub. I had to wait for the 9:OO MN train, so I went to a local Chinese takeout restaurant and ordered a small lo mein to eat there. I arrived home about 9:40PM. I showered, and fell asleep. I have not even started the lesson plan, so I will most likely do it on the train ride to school in a couple of hours.


Post Date - Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:18AM

No comments: