Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sunday, March 23rd.
Last week was a very stressful week. I seemed to have dug a hole that only got deeper. Each day of the 4-day workweek, was basically the same. I left the building later and later, crashed when I got home, woke up about 2AM, took a taxi to school only to repeat the process over. By Thursday, my 4-day work week felt like a 5-day work week.

Friday (Good Friday), was my required recuperation day. I slept most of the day away. I did finish watching the Spiderman DVD, but most of the day was sleep (and mental recovery). My plan was to stay in for the weekend, and get organized, but I received an invitation to go see the movie "10,00BC". I wasn't really in the mood for a movie, but since I kept putting off going, I thought I should go. I told my epal that I was not available during the work week. Only those of you who have read my blog for a while, would understand why I wouldn't go out for dinner during the work week, or why my weekends are usually busy (Saturday sleep day and Sunday being errand day).

After putting off doing another event since our last event, I told my epal that a three-day weekend would be the best time for me, not realizing that I would be too tired to really do anything. But, since I made the arrangement, I decided to not break it.

The plan was to meet downtown Manhattan to see the movie "10,000 BC at 10:45AM (Saturday). To get there on time, I had to leave 9:30AM. To make sure I was there on time, I decided to take the MN train all the way to 42nd street, then it was only a matter of one subway ride to 34th street. I ended up arriving about 10:40AM. I wasn't sure if I could wait in the lobby, I did not know if someone would think I was loitering, so I waited outside reading the newspaper. My epal arrived about 11:10AM. Waiting in the cold for about 30 minutes put me in a bit of a bad mood. We then went to the wrong theater (that did not help). Having stood in the cold for about 30 minutes left me chilled to the bone. I spent the entire movie with my jacket and hat on.

So how was the movie? It was okay. The makeup was nice. I think the movie producers were trying to have a bit of both worlds (they were trying to have a sci-fi story, but I also think they were trying for a realistic edge as if this story could have really happened. So on the one hand you got sci-fi mumbo jumbo about prophecies on top of prophecies, all-seeing visions, and all-powerful gods. Then, you had the "Natural Geographic" story-telling. If you take the movie for its sci-fi mumbo jumbo, then I think you will be satisfied. The movie wasn't great, it was nice. And since I saw the $6 matinee showing, I was satisfied.

After the movie, we went to Wendy's for lunch. The conversation was interesting -- more drama with my epal's neighbor. I think he calls her "pookie". She called a few times during our walk after the movie. To be honest, I felt a bit like a third-wheel. I'll leave out the rest of my observations since it doesn't relate to me (and my blog really isn't suppose to be about others).

After lunch, my epal asked if I was interested in going to Macy's. I hadn't been there in decades, so I said yes. My epal was interested in buying another messenger bag. Although Macy's would not have been my first choice (or any choice) to go walking around, I did enjoy going in. It was nice for a personal reason. For too many years, I've made most (if not all) of my purchases in imitation 5 and dime stores. It was nice to look around at the merchandise in a non-bargain basement store.

After Macy's, we went to HomeDepot. My epal wanted to do some comparison shopping for items he wanted for his apartment. Although I did not have any plans to buy anything, I ended up buying a hand-held shower head. Some seeds, and mini pots. I thought it would be nice to see if I could get my students to grow some flowers for their parents.

Next stop was Barnes & Nobles, my epal wanted to see if the last Harry Potter book was out in paperback. Again, I wasn't planning on buying anything but I ended up buying:
a graphic novel (The Dark Wraith of Shannara by Terry Brooks)
3 Quamut "how to do it" cheat sheets (for lack of a better descriptive word)
Microsoft Word 2007, Microsoft Access 2007, and Microsoft Excel 2007
The "cheat sheets are a tri-fold (laminated)page of short summaries of key functions of the programs. I bought a tutorial program around the time I purchased my new desktop computer, but I have yet to do any of the lessons.

After B&N, my epal said that he was going to walk further downtown to a liquor store then would head home. Since, I had no plans, I said I would walk that way also. Those of you who have read previous entries of this blog know that walking is my thing. Walking three or four hours doesn't mean much to me. Well, at least it used to mean nothing. Anyway, my epal then changed his mind, and mentioned that he would walk about the farmer's market in Union Square. I don't know why, but I got the feeling my epal wanted to get rid of me, but did not know how. After walking around in circles, I decided to help him out. I told him that I would head over to Forbidden Planet (a comic shop) while he would continue on his way. While we were walking around Union Square Park, we came across a pillow fight in the park. I later found out it was International Pillow Fight Day. There were feathers falling like snow everywhere. I would hate to be the person who would have to clean up that mess.

In front of FP, we said our goodbyes, and I went in to look around. Again, I wasn't planning to buy anything, but after about 45 minutes, I left the shop about $50 poorer. It has been many years since I've been in a comic shop. I bought a few titles that did not have a major "to be continued..." ending:
Shadowpact with Blue Devil (DC)
Batman and the Outsiders (DC)
Green Lantern Super-sized Finale!
Fantastic Five - The Final Doom (reprinted - Marvel)
Thunderbolts - Civil War (Marvel)

After I finished in FP, I walked passed a movie theater. For the heck of it, I went in to see what was playing. Horton Hears a Who was playing in 10 minutes. Even though there was a bit of a line, I decided to go see the movie.

The theater was much more crowded than with the BC movie...and noisier.

After the movie, I headed for home. Since I had about 40 minutes to wait for the MN train, I went to Target to by some milk and orange juice. I then went to the local Chinese takeout restaurant. I ordered some beef lo mein.

I returned home about 9PM. I watched a couple of the PBS Britcoms, "Are You Being Served".

Completion Date - Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:47PM
Post Date - Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:48AM

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I can speak for Green Lantern and Batman and the Outsiders. Both are great!

Jannx said...

Yes, I enjoyed both. However, don't you think there are too many Green Lanterns? Personally, I felt they should not have brought back the Hal character.