Friday, June 26, 2009

It's a wrap...almost


Well, today was technically the last day of school for the students and the teachers. And of course those of you regular readers know that I am not prepared. So, while others were enjoying their summer vacation as early as 3PM, I won't be enjoying it yet. I will have to return to school on Monday and Tuesday to finish packing up my things. I rented a mover with a van to help me move my things home for the summer. Again, it's my goal to "Pack as if I'm not coming back". Not only does it make it easy for me if I was actually not coming back, but it also forces me to go through closets and cabinets and assessing what I have. It also discourages me from shoving things in closets and cabinets. A lot of the nicest classrooms I've seen can have more clutter than any other classroom.

Oh, there has been a correction to the teacher start date for the next school year. Now, teachers will be returning on the day after Labor Day. Students will return on September 9th. Although I like the extra vacation time, there is no way I would be comfortable arriving to school the day before students arrive. Although it can be done, it is cutting things too close for comfort for me. I will be returning the same day admin has to return (August 31st.). Both Ms. Across the Hall and Mr. Second Grade Teacher (SGT) both will be returning on the September 9th.

The other change is that the last day for students (2009~2010)will be June 25th a Monday (a half day). No comment.

I think I'm going to end this entry now. There was more I wanted to write, but I'm tired.

Oh, a couple of you (readers of my blog) have recently posted comments. Sorry, I've been so stressed out about last minute preparations for the end of the school year, that I was too tired to reply. I will go back and reply to each person who took the time to send me a response.


Post Date - Friday, June 26, 2009 9:51PM

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Good luck getting everything "officially" wrapped up! It's easier without the kids in the way... :)

Max Sartin said...

That's my problem, and one of the reasons it's good I don't stay at any school too long. I just stuff things in closets, file cabinets and the desk. So I tend to get piles of stuff I really ought to just toss. This year I threw away (recycled) 3 big garbage bags of papers I really didn't need. Good for you!, cleaning out every year.
.
Half a day on a Monday for the last day? How many students do they really expect will show up? The other thing that surprises me is that the admin only has a week to set up. Administrators in Utah are on an 11 month contract, they work all through June (student's last day is the first Friday of June) and come back at the beginning of August. Which works good for me because then I can take my time in August setting up, showing up on days I'm bored anyway.
.
Have a great summer!

Jannx said...

Yep Max, that was my question. As for admin contracts. I was told that the principal and Parent Coordinator have 11 months contracts. And assistant principals have the option of a 10 or 11 month contract.