Thursday, June 04, 2009

Staff Development


Here in NYC, we had faculty staff development day. There were no students in attendance. Other than being a bit on the boring side, it was a nice day. The workshops could have been.... a bit more useful. Here in NYC, we have a new data collection system that will allow students academic performance to be tracked. I actually kind of like the idea.

Dismissal time was 3PM. I had wanted to be out of the building at exactly 3PM like most of the other teachers, but since staff development finished about 2:55PM, I knew I wasn't going to be able to catch my train, so I made some photo copies and left the building about 4:00PM.

Lately, I've been feeling a bit too tired. Yes, a part of the reason is the 3 or 4 hour sleep habits. But even with getting to bed about 10:30PM and 11:00PM a couple of times, had me feeling tired the following morning. Yes, I know I need to get a good night's sleep for more than just a couple of times. I also need to start exercising. With that thought in mind, I got off the train a stop earlier, so that that I could make a quick stop at the store, but more importantly to walk the rest of the way home. I told myself that starting today, I would do at least 30 minutes of exercising even if it was walking home from an earlier extra stop on the train. Hopefully, I will be able to stick with this "exercising" thought for more than a couple of days. What about boxing? A week has already past in the month, and I have a plan to travel next month (more details to follow soon), next month will also be a no-go. Lately, I have been trying to "modify" my eating habits and choices. I've lost about ten pounds just from changing my eating habits. Now, if I can just be consistant with exercising, I should be able to lose a few more pounds. It would be nice if I could lose some of my jelly belly before I start my traveling in July.

Oh, a quick reading update. I've been reading the Barnes & Noble edition of the H.G. Wells two-story collection. I finished "The Time Machine", and now I'm reading "The Invisible Man".

Time Machine? It was okay. Every other page seem to have a footnote. It was like reading for a college class. Too much effort was put into explaining the author's intent. The story itself was a bit... eh(with a shoulder shrug). I like the premise, but the plot tended to drag on. There was no real character development other than the main character. Everyone and everything in the story was designed to just be there for the main character to respond to (or about). I like the 60's movie better. Attached is an image I got from Wikipedia.

Tomorrow, 3rd grade classes have a trip to the museum, but the weather report says lots of rain. Hopefully, the rain will hold off until later in the afternoon.


Post Date - Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:25PM

No comments: