Thursday, June 25, 2009

One more day to go. Today was the last full day here in NYC public schools. My day was tiring. I was tired. I was annoyed. Today was a very long day. Once again I didn't do what I'd planned to do in terms of packing. I did manage to catch an earlier train to work, but once in the building, I got caught by one of the second grade teachers. Although she isn't as bad as the K teacher I've mentioned a few times, however, she can also talk enough to make your ears bleed. The kids were of very little help. Although, I do have to be honest, the girls did a good job of unpacking and setting up the boxes. I think I've mentioned that I save my boxes each year so that I don't have to worry about boxes during crunch time.

Oh, I found out that our new (teacher's)contract calls for teachers to return to school on September 8th...the same day the students are due to report. Strange isn't it. Although I like the idea of have a longer vacation(by a few days), it really doesn't do me any good. I really couldn't see myself coming to school on the same day students arrived after a two month vacation. The other side of the contract is that teachers will now have to say the two extra days after students leave. Until this change, the two days after students' last day were admin days.

I left school about 7:30PM. I stopped off at a local drugstore chain to buy something for the school aids. One school aid who is a bit aggressive about asking for something, asked for me to "remember her on the day". Also reminded me of how she "watches my kids". A part of me wanted to say that that was her job, but I said nothing.

Sleepy now, so I will have to end this now.

No comments: