Monday, June 29, 2009

Transformers 2


Today an epal and I went to see Transformers 2 in Brooklyn. I did not realize it, but she pointed out that we've known each other for about 3 years. Wow, time flies.

Today started out with me in a bit of a panic, I missed my comfort train which would have allowed me to arrive early. I was debating whether or not to call to saying I would be about 10 minutes late, but with an internet search of the travel route, I had time to arrive on time...but cutting it close. I arrived with about 5 minutes to spare. Once I got out of the train station, I see that a message was left on my cell phone saying my epal would be about 10 minutes late. One of the down sides to doing the walking activity with a woman is that my mind is always locked in chivalry mode. I wasn't sure if I should buy her ticket or not, with a guy that thought would never have entered my mind. Not being sure if she also brought her ticket (she was the one to suggest the theater and meeting time), I decided to pass on buying the extra ticket and maybe being stuck with the ticket.

So, how was the movie?

Strange thing, being a big fan of science-fiction movies and block-buster movies, I should have loved it, but to be honest, I really didn't think the movie was that great. It was nice, and it was entertaining, but it wasn't that great. The movie was long , loud, and a bit excessive at times. Also, the audience was a bit too loud, and too interactive. Usually, I wait a couple of weeks to see a movie. I tend to avoid crowds and avoid going when a movie just comes out. I also tend to get distracted by things going on around me (ie a cellphone being checked, a conversation going on, people getting up, etc...). I was also a bit unsure of what to expect from the theater. I waited until the last minute before I bought my online ticket, at that time I also checked the theater reviews. To put it mildly, the theater didn't get many positive reviews. However, I didn't have an alternative, and I hadn't made the movie selection, so I didn't say anything about the online movie reviews. The theater was a bit cold, but I came prepared for that. The movie at 2 and a half hours was too long. I also thought there was too much cursing by the supposedly robots from outer space. It was a bit unsettling to hear robots going on and on about "punk ass this and bitch ass that". It was also a bit difficult to follow the action scenes with the robots looking fairly similar. It was helpful to have the good robots each have a different color, but the bad robots started to blend together after awhile with almost each one being silver. The last thing that probably shaded my review was the active audience participation, they clapped, cheered and rooted for the heros in the movie. It has been a long time since I've been to a movie with active audience participation(not including movies attended with my students). Oh, I thought Tony Todd did a very good job as the voice of the villain robot. He has a very distinctive voice like James Earl Jones. Lastly, I was going to end with a comment about seeing woman changing her baby's diaper while I was walking out, but I think I'll attach a link to the theater's reviews instead.

After the movie, my epal and I went to a Chinese restaurant --not to the cheap takeout places that I usually go to but a nice sit down place. The prices were higher, but the food was better. I had sweet and sour pork. The food was good, however, they were a bit skimpy on the rice. The bill came to about $21 for the two of us. It was a nice place. The service was quick and the staff seemed nice. I took a business card to remember the place.

After the Chinese meal, my epal suggested ice cream for dessert. Not sure what to order, I finally settled on a banana-split only to be told once the scoops were decided that the guy was out of bananas. I settled for a sundae. My epal had a couple of scoops of ice cream. I don't remember what our order came to, but the ice cream was good.

From the ice cream place, my epal suggested a walk to the Brooklyn promenade. I don't think I've ever been to the Brooklyn Promenade, so that was nice. It would have been nice to walk along the promenade, but since my epal seemed tired, I didn't suggest it. However, we did have a very nice conversation. My epal also suggested another walking activity in the Brooklyn area, since it is something I wouldn't do on my own, I am interested in doing it.

It was a nice day. I didn't get to take many pictures, but I still enjoyed myself. Oh, and I found out my epal likes texting, which is nice. Most of the people I know don't like texting.

Well, I better go. I have to return to school tomorrow(actually it is now today) to finish packing up my materials for the summer. It was a nice start to my summer vacation.


Post Date - Monday, June 29, 2009 1:38AM

No comments: