Thursday, August 26, 2010

DMV

I felt much, much better today.  For one of the few times this summer (or any summer), I was up and out of bed before 7AM.  I needed to get some cold medicine.  Although I was feeling better, I didn't want to push my luck.  I also decided to order a pancake breakfast from a local diner.

After a quick (unplanned) nap, I decided to go find out about the $509 bill my HMO sent me. I wanted to go in person.  My thinking was that I get better results if I handle paperwork in person.  Well, I was wrong.  I was quickly (but politely) informed that they "don't deal will insurance claims...".  I had to call a 888 service number.  I never got around to it, I'll do it tomorrow.

On my way back home, my plan was to stop at a local downtown store to buy a floor lamp.  Since I was downtown, on an impulse, I decided to finally get my driver's license updated.  I've lived in my current apartment for about 4 years, and I've never gotten my license changed.  I was planning to just pick up a mail-in application.  However, the lady was very nice (and polite),  I decided to get it over with.  The waiting time was not bad (about 15 minutes).  Unfortunately, my life wouldn't be mine if there wasn't confusion.

When I completed the application, I filled in the "Change Location for Voting Registration" section.  The guy ripped that part off without looking at it.  I wasn't thinking about it at the moment.  However, when I received my temporary license ($18) it stated that I had elected to not register to vote.  I went back to the guy and showed him the mistake.  I had filled in the bottom part of the form for relocation of where I wanted to vote.  He told me that I didn't need to worry about it.  I just needed to go to Customer Service Desk and ask for a mail-in form.  So I go to Customer Service (a different lady this time). 

Me: Mr. J told me I could just pick up a mail-in form for voter registration.
NL: (New Lady) Who told you that?  You have to wait in line.
Me: Mr. J. (as I pointed across the room).
NL: You can't skip the line. Tell him to just cancel the license and issue a new one.
Me: (back to Mr. J.) The lady told me to tell you that I can't get a form.  You have to cancel this license and issue me a new one.
Mr. J: (Shouting to NL). "NL, just give the guy the mail-in form it's right there on the left."
NL: (Shouting to Mr. J.) "He can't skip the line (gesturing to the long line of people waiting).  Just cancel the license and make the correction".
Mr. J. :(Sucks his teeth).  Just a minute, I'll get you one.  He doesn't go to NL, but to another area to look for the form.  He can't find it, so he goes to ask another lady for the form (she sends him to another area).

I get the form.  On my way out I see that it asks for me to fill in the same information I just filled in on the other form plus I had to write the correct address for my voting district (which I didn't know).  Yep, I had to go back to Mr. J to ask.  After that, I decided to fill out the form and mail it off then and there.  I was just so annoyed at the lack of service for my $18, I knew I probably wouldn't do it once I left the DMV.

From the DMV, I went to buy my new floor lamp and headed for home.  At home, I worked on the right side of my living room.    I moved the furniture along the right wall so that I could wash and wax  that side of the floor.  Tomorrow, I will move the furniture back.  I'm going to put everything back the way it was except for the bookcase.  I'm going to reposition the bookcase so that I can get another one in that corner.  Anyway, the perimeter has been washed and waxed leaving only the middle of the living room floor to be washed and waxed.  The last area to clean will be the hallway.  My apartment will be finished.

Oh, I also stopped by the post office to pick up my School House of Rock DVD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got the cartoon from the internet.  It just seemed to fit.

No comments: