Friday, August 06, 2010

Doctor's Visit

Today it was time for my yearly medical check-up. I tried to schedule it during the summer. I also try to schedule it for as early as possible since I can't eat anything the morning of the check-up. I had my appointment for 10AM, and by 12noon, I was finished. Results:

* The results of the groin complaint yielded nothing. The test showed no damaged or any warning signs. My doctor suggested that it must have been a pulled muscle.

* I'm being put back on water pills to try lowering my blood pressure. It was also suggested that I start taking one aspirin per day to lower my BP. I'm still on the border. My BP was about 122/80.

* I gained about 5lbs. since my last visit (3 weeks ago). I was doing okay with the liquid diet, but after my doctor said to modify my liquid diet, I quit the liquid diet, but I've been lazy about resuming. Each week, I've been "going to start soon".

After the medical checkup, I went to visit my foster father. After the visit, I decided to go for a bus ride downtown. Since my air-conditioner isn't hooked up(it has been sitting in my closet unused for the past 3 years), and I didn't feel like sitting under a fan. I decided to take a ride on the city bus. Since I got on the bus near the beginning of the route, I was able to get a good seat. The air-condition was at a good temperature(not too cold). From about 125th street to 23rd street(the bus went out of service for some reason), it took about an hour due to traffic. But since my goal was just to sit in the air-conditioning, I didn't mind the pace. I was reading Stephen King's "Salem's Lot".

Salem's Lot.
Now, I'm about half-way through the book. The writing seems nice. I like the way he describes the characters and the settings. He gives a lot of details to help the reader create mental pictures. So why is this book so boring? At the halfway mark, the idea of vampires is only now just being suggested. Only suggested! There has been about 3 or 4 "disappearances" in the story, but nothing tied to vampires. Also, there are waay too many characters for someone like me to keep track off. I can handle a story with 5 or 6 characters in a single location. But, I don't have the mental capacity to keep track of an entire town, an entire cast of characters (past and present). King switches from present to past and back again, without any clues. It's after reading two or three pages that I have to stop and guess if this is past or present. Every time a character appears, I spend too much time guess (and searching previous pages) to find out who is this character. It's not a bad book. I just don't think it is for me. Strange though, it still seems to be holding my interest. I think reading this book during the summer was a good idea. I probably would have stopped reading it if I was doing my regular commuter reading.**

** I did take a sneak peak at a couple of clips from the 1979 movie on YouTube. I love YouTube!!! I resisted reading the summary on Wikipedia. I have a bad habit of jumping to the back of a book and reading the last chapter, or reading the summary on Wikipedia. And of course, losing interest after I know how it ends. I now know who the boy is traveling with the main character (mentioned briefly at the beginning of the book, then not mentioned [directly] again...at least not to the halfway point). I also know how the "love story" aspect will probably end. It is strange that a horror book that (to me) isn't scary; it is somewhat boring(to me), it seems way over my head in terms of readability, and knowing key parts of the story (from YouTube), hasn't caused me to want to stop reading the book. Strange.

It is also strange that I still want to read King's "Under the Dome". I've already decided to use my Christmas Club money to buy myself an upgraded cell phone with a touch screen. I'm also thinking about getting an E-Reader. I've had a Christmas Club account for the past couple of years, but each year the funds are automatically rolled over into my regular account and just seems to disappear. This year (October 1st), I either go Christmas shopping for myself early, or I withdraw the funds so it doesn't disappear. For those of you who might be wondering, why is he thinking of himself for Christmas presents? Because, I've always been more of a giver on Christmas, and my "returns" are usually much, much less than the amount I've spent on others. The exchange doesn't bother me too much (it is the season for giving). However, now that I'm getting older, I think it is time that I added myself to my own Christmas List. Last year, I spend about $300 on gifts. Last year, I don't remember, but I think I received $60(cash) and a cover for a weekly (or monthly) planner I didn't have. I did eventually buy a planner for the cover, but I haven't used it once. The year before, I think I got $100 (cash) and a thermo-shirt. This year, I want I gift that I will like, use, and remember.

Oh, and I need to put that exercise bike together. Yep, it is still sitting by the door (unopened).

Post Date - Friday, August 6, 2010 3:08PM

No comments: