Monday, August 10, 2009

Studio Tours

Tuesday, July 21st

Today was my last full-day in Los Angeles. My plan was to visit a couple of museums today and just take it easy. While trying to figure out how to get to the Japanese American Museum, I decided to call Warner Bros. Studios to see if I could see the tour (especially since it is one of the places I can get into with my LA Go Card). I found out that even though people are asked to make reservations for the studio tour, I could come today. While I was riding the bus to Warner Bros. Studios, I also realized I might be able to go over to Universal Studios which was only a short distance away.

Below is a quick comparison of the two studios:

Warner Bros. Studios
Seemed smaller. The studio tour was nice. There was a close knit feeling this studio seem to give off. Tour groups were divided up into small groups of about 10~12 people. The groups were taken around the studios on golf cart type vehicles. From time to time, we were asked to not take pictures. They even went so far as to collect cameras to ensure no one would take pictures. There was a nice small museum on the grounds, but we were not allowed to take pictures. The first floor was devoted to almost 100 years of WB studio magic. The second floor was devoted to the Harry Potter movies. From time to time, we got off the tour vehicle to walk around sets. The cost of the studio tour would have been about $45 without my $163 LA GO Card.

Universal Studios
Much larger. The studio tour was much more polished and designed for large groups. The tour took groups of 25~50 people on large train like trams through the studio. We were not allowed to get off the tram once the tour started. During the tour, a video of Whoopie Goldberg played explaining background information about the studio. Where as Warner Bros. is just a studio, Universal was also an amusement park. With my LA Go Card, I was able to visit the amusement park part of the studio. I ended up staying until closing (about 7PM). After, I spent a couple of hours walking around CityWalk. CityWalk was a mall-like complex. The cost for entrance into the park would have been about $65 dollars without my $163 LA Go Card.


Post Date - Monday, August 10, 2009 3:31PM

2 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

I toured Universal Studios back when I was about 11. I've never been to any other studios.
You were certainly very thorough when planning your adventures.

Jannx said...

Unfortunately, I think I didn't plan enough, but I do appreciate the compliment. Thank you.