Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Joseph Smith

While doing the captions for my slideshow, I came across some information about Joseph Smith. Since I know very little about him, I found the articles interesting reading. The first article was from Googling Joseph Smith and wives. The other article came from one of my favorite sites, Wikipedia.

Yes I know, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but even if some of this is true...

I'm...amazed.

Treasure hunter to prophet to having about 20 wives (as young as 14 years old, and marrying sisters as their priest and then later as their husband) and becoming founder of a religion(Mormons).

Wow!

Below is a link to one of the articles I found through a Google search.

JOSEPH SMITH

Post Date - Tuesday, August 25, 2009 1:03PM

4 comments:

A Paperback Writer said...

Well, Smith is such a controversial figure that you can't always believe everything you read about him -- even from "official" Mormon websites. The problem is that the Mormons want to make him seem flawless and the anti-Mormons want to make him seem like a demon -- and he was probably neither of those things.
The best biography I've read on him is Rough Stone Rolling, as it's fairly objective.
And I think there are more than 30 wives documented.

Jannx said...

What you wrote makes a lot of sense, and supports the saying that there are two sides to every story with the truth somewhere in the middle.

A Paperback Writer said...

Well, I think we can certainly agree that he was an unusual man who used his considerable intelligence to do some pretty unusual things. But as to whether those things were good, bad, or merely unusual is up to the point of view of the person hearing/reading about them.

Jannx said...

Agreed. A point of view does play an important role in a lot of things.