Saturday, August 29, 2009

Indianapolis - Day 1

Friday, July 31, 2009

My day started out at about 11:30AM(my wake up time). I was up and out the door about 1:15PM. After about a 30 minute wait for the bus, I headed downtown.

My first stop was to the Soldiers & Sailors Monument. The observation deck was closed due to renovations, but there was a museum located in the basement of the monument. In the museum there were various displays related to the Civil War.

After the S & S Monument, I went to the nearby visitor's center to pick up some maps and pamphlets on tourist activities to do while in town.

Next, I went to the Indiana State Capitol Building. Since the building was opened to the public, I went in and walked around; it is a very nice building.

After the self-guided tour of the Statehouse, I walked along the canal for awhile. I finished up my tour with a soup and a sandwich at a local bar.

On my way back, I stayed on the bus to go to the Target store near the hostel. I didn't want to return to the dingy local supermarket with the expired food sold at a discount. When I finished shopping at Target, I almost missed the last bus back to the hostel. The bus driver arrived late at the bus stop, but seemed to be trying to making up the time by speeding. Yes speeding!


Post Date - Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:51PM

4 comments:

Jeff said...

Ha! I love that the bus was speeding, and I'm not surprised. And good call on that dingy grocery store--I saw it and I didn't like the looks of it.

Jannx said...

The store looked worse on the inside. Oh, and another "bus" story to follow soon.

Bye for now. Tomorrow it's my turn to setup my classroom. My vacation is just about over.

A Paperback Writer said...

Interesting post. I've never been to Indiana before, so I'll enjoy reading about this.
good luck in class.

Jannx said...

Hello Paperback. Yes, Indianapolis was a nice place. Oh, and thank you for the good luck wish. Actually, I still have a week before the kids arrive. I just want a head start.